2012 Masterbuilt Smokers - NEW 30" & 40" Models!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I got mine from Sams in December.  Haven't had a problem yet except a temp variation between their inside temp and what I read.

I really like the new 40.  Had a 30 before.  cooks great, all works well.  Knock on wood!

George from SC

I just received an email from Masterbuilt that said >>

"You're very welcome! Thank you for choosing Masterbuilt! Our systems show that order number 392435 has been placed with a new control panel and we will process and ship this order as promptly as possible.

We are aware of what the smoker forums are saying and I can assure you that we are fixing the problems which we have encountered along the way. None of our products are reject units, and most of the Sam's units usually have added features compared to other retailers. We do ensure to provide you quality products and even better customer service! Welcome to the Masterbuilt family and thank you for taking 'stake' in our company. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance and have a great day. "

That should answer the comments about Sam's Club units being lower class units.  Most people have complained about the controls but raved about customer service and that is also seen in the email.

As for the window, I wish I hadn't paid the extra amount for a window that almost immediately becomes covered with moisture and smoke so that it's impossible to see anything.  If anyone has a hint as to how to keep it clear, I'd love to hear it.  I found that Wesley's Bleach White (used for car white walls) cleans it very well...... after the fact.

I just received an email from Masterbuilt that said >>

"You're very welcome! Thank you for choosing Masterbuilt! Our systems show that order number 392435 has been placed with a new control panel and we will process and ship this order as promptly as possible.

We are aware of what the smoker forums are saying and I can assure you that we are fixing the problems which we have encountered along the way. None of our products are reject units, and most of the Sam's units usually have added features compared to other retailers. We do ensure to provide you quality products and even better customer service! Welcome to the Masterbuilt family and thank you for taking 'stake' in our company. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance and have a great day. "

That should answer the comments about Sam's Club units being lower class units.  Most people have complained about the controls but raved about customer service and that is also seen in the email.

As for the window, I wish I hadn't paid the extra amount for a window that almost immediately becomes covered with moisture and smoke so that it's impossible to see anything.  If anyone has a hint as to how to keep it clear, I'd love to hear it.  I found that Wesley's Bleach White (used for car white walls) cleans it very well...... after the fact.
Maybe they could explain why most of the 1st Gen problem smokers came from Sam's, and not from Cabelas.

I clean my glass before each use.

I use wet paper towels & wood stove ashes, and sometimes Windex (door all the way open---do not spray into smoker). Cleans up real easy if you do it regularly. I enjoy seeing through the glass just fine. I'd be lost without the window.

Bear

The one for $199 is at least 3 years old (model). It has the old square digital control & no window or remote control.

The one for $267 was made within the last 2 1/2 years. It has the rounded, sloped digital control with remote, and the window in door.

Both are MES 30 (The smaller one)

Bear

The one for $199 is at least 3 years old (model). It has the old square digital control & no window or remote control.

The one for $267 was made within the last 2 1/2 years. It has the rounded, sloped digital control with remote, and the window in door.

Both are MES 30 (The smaller one)

Bear
What is the difference between the 2 1/2 year old $267 (qvc model) with rounded sloped digital control w/ remote and window VS a more current MES 30 model?   Price and options, etc.

Thanks1

What is the difference between the 2 1/2 year old $267 (qvc model) with rounded sloped digital control w/ remote and window VS a more current MES 30 model?   Price and options, etc.

Thanks1
I'm not really up with the new problems. I was basically just telling you which was which.

The current MES 30 & 40 has the digital control built in upfront, and the top exhaust vent coming out of the top of the left side, instead of the back right part of the ceiling. I always said they should do that, so the heat coming from the bottom right has to cross through the smoker, and your meat, to get to the exhaust. Should eliminate the need for the deflector I keep in my MES 40.

Bear

The one I saw at Sam's for $299.00 was the stainless door only with the black painted cabinet. Local Academy stores sell the all stainless steel model for $349.00...

The Academy model should be the gen-1 40" everyone says it has no, or less issues compared to the Gen-2. I had one and took it back because of a small problem with the door seal and purchased a gen-2 from Cabela's. Would have stuck with the Gen-1 but Academy offered no extended warranty. I think it is a must with these smokers although Master Built has always sent me any part I needed for free but that might change after some time passes.

Well, I got my extra thermometers in and tested out my unit. As many have mentioned, mine has the same temp variation issues. I placed four identical oven thermometers in it and set it to 225.

MES reading: 223

Rack 3: left side: 245 right side 280

Rack 2: left side 245 right side 300

Obviously, this is a problem unless you only plan on one half of your food being properly cooked. But, as I think Todd had mentioned, I figured the water pan may be disrupting the natural heat flow in the unit. So, I took it out and reset it to 225. Once it got up to target, all four thermometers read within 5 degrees of 225. Go figure.

So, the moral of the story is that this unit apparently works MUCH better without the water pan. Just put a small foil drip pan on the bottom as Todd suggested. I think these will do the trick just fine:

I just got one of the MES 40" gen 2 models. Sorry but I am new to this. What all do I need to remove to get the heat to even across the smoker?

I just got one of the MES 40" gen 2 models. Sorry but I am new to this. What all do I need to remove to get the heat to even across the smoker?
Below is a picture of what I do.

The heat element of the MES is mostly on the right.

The heat likes to run straight up the right side to the top right exhaust, making the right side hotter.

That foil coated sheet of aluminum on the bottom right is tilted up on the left, to deflect the heat over to the middle of the smoker.

This would probably help even if your exhaust vent is on the top of the left wall.

The upside down half of a foil pan, on the left is just to protect my AMNPS from dripping.

Hope this helps,

Bear

Below is a picture of what I do.

The heat element of the MES is mostly on the right.

The heat likes to run straight up the right side to the top right exhaust, making the right side hotter.

That foil coated sheet of aluminum on the bottom right is tilted up on the left, to deflect the heat over to the middle of the smoker.

This would probably help even if your exhaust vent is on the top of the left wall.

The upside down half of a foil pan, on the left is just to protect my AMNPS from dripping.

Hope this helps,

Bear

I just got mine (40" gen 2 model) about a month ago after they were backordered from Amazon since before the Super Bowl. I haven't had any real problems, other then when I set it at 225°, it likes to fluctuate between 210-237° depending on if the burner kicks on. Granted I don't see this as problem. Should I?

Also, I keep reading about not using the smoking tray and water pan? Is this true? So far (other then having to load wood chips ever .75-1.5 hours) I have produced great smoked foods. Esp the next day after it really has time to rest. Also it seems, no matter what liquid I put in the water pan, it seems like never uses any. Am I not doing something I should?

Also can you explain how and why you did your mods? Should/can I do the 3" dryer mod myself? And what is the "AMNPS"?

Sorry for everything. Like I said I am new, but so far the results are pretty good for being such a novice.

Thanks for everything.

I just got mine (40" gen 2 model) about a month ago after they were backordered from Amazon since before the Super Bowl. I haven't had any real problems, other then when I set it at 225°, it likes to fluctuate between 210-237° depending on if the burner kicks on. Granted I don't see this as problem. Should I? The burner kicks on a degree or two below your setting, but if it's cold out, it will drop usually 5 to 15 degrees more before the temp starts going up. Then the element will shut off when it hits your setting, but it will coast upward awhile because the heat was building before it shut off.

Also, I keep reading about not using the smoking tray and water pan? Is this true? So far (other then having to load wood chips ever .75-1.5 hours) I have produced great smoked foods. Esp the next day after it really has time to rest. Also it seems, no matter what liquid I put in the water pan, it seems like never uses any. Am I not doing something I should?

You should not use your MES without the water pan in place, although mine is always empty. Many of us feel putting liquids in the MES pan does nothing for your smoking meat.

Also can you explain how and why you did your mods? Should/can I do the 3" dryer mod myself? And what is the "AMNPS"?

Only mods in mine are simply the tilted sheet of aluminum in the picture above, and the upside down sink strainer to keep bugs from entering my smoker through that vent. "AMNPS" Is A-Maze-N-Pellet-Smoker. These things are all over the place. Just click on the "A-Maze-N-Smoker" business card at the bottom of the page.

Sorry for everything. Like I said I am new, but so far the results are pretty good for being such a novice.

Thanks for everything.

Bear

I noticed that the right side of my MES runs hotter by about 20 degress when I have the vent mostly open (makes sense, as the heat will tend to draft towards the vent) but when I have the vent mostly closed, the temp from left to right only varies by about 5 degrees... I noticed less of a difference when I installed the bigger chip tray upgrade, I think perhaps that may be due to the difference in the heat shield...I do not recommend running the unit without the water pan, whether you have water in it or not. If nothing else, it works as a heat spreader. Just my $0.02

I've been looking into the 40' model an found that amazon sells the 1st gen for 399 and the 2nd gen for 308... Not sute if either unit is worth it at this point.

I really just want an additional smoker for sausage. The Masterbuilt interested me as its large and can do temps from 120-140, perfect for snack sticks and summer sausage. Anyone have an recommendations here?

I've been looking into the 40' model an found that amazon sells the 1st gen for 399 and the 2nd gen for 308... Not sute if either unit is worth it at this point.

I really just want an additional smoker for sausage. The Masterbuilt interested me as its large and can do temps from 120-140, perfect for snack sticks and summer sausage. Anyone have an recommendations here?
Check the shipping dates - the new generation shipping time is 2-4 weeks(it was 3-6 months earlier this week).  That indicates to me that Masterbuilt has told Amazon the smokers are allotted but aren't in the supply chain yet.  My old generation 40" will be here today via FedEx from Amazon, while the cover will be here today via UPS.  Gotta love Amazon Prime and their free 2 day shipping.

I also ordered the AMPS package, hoping it will get here tomorrow.  I'm planning on getting the initial burn-off of the manufacturing oils done today, and have a small brisket and a chuck roast for tomorrow's supper!

I broke down and ordered this one from qvc..
http://www.qvc.com/Masterbuilt-4-Ra...t.K35546.html?itemtId=14638570&sc=K35546-SHPL

If I don't like it I will send it back...
Good choice or not?
grilling_smilie.gif
The picture shows an old model (seems odd that they still sell that model, or the picture is wrong)---That's the one I started with-----I loved it, but it was a bit small.

I have the newer MES 40 now, and love it even more!!!

I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky