2012 Masterbuilt Smokers - NEW 30" & 40" Models!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Masterbuilt had a big QVC show this past weekend and sold out.....could've been a possible clearing inventory event to make room to stock the new models.......

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

The new 30 and 40 are on Cabela's and both are back order for 6-7 weeks. They are showing both in the SS front. I also noticed the new model opens on the opposite from the old ones. Have no idea where they moved the former top vent to or if the new one even has a vent. 

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home...stype=GNP&WTz_l=SBC;BRprd1322261;cat104582880
  • 30" Smoker with Window and Stainless Steel Door  Model #20070312   See how your smoked meats, cheeses or vegetables are coming along through the integrated window. Built-in meat probe displays the food temperature. Digital temperature and time controls. Thermostatic-controlled temperature. Built-in internal cabinet light. Four racks provide 640 sq. in. of cooking space. 25-lb. capacity. Imported.Dimensions: 33.5"H x 20.3"W x 19.6"D. 
    Weight: 49.9 lbs. $349.99
  •  
    • 40" Smoker with Window and Stainless Steel Door Model #20070512    Built-in glass viewing window and internal light let you observe the smoking progress. Heating element adjusts from 100°F to 275°F with a push of a button and is regulated by a digital thermostat for even cooking. A built-in meat probe displays the internal food temperature. Insulated walls trap heat and eliminate drying. Electrically heated, removable wood chute. Four racks provide 930 sq. in. of cooking space. 35-lb. capacity. Imported.Dimensions: 41.3"H x 25.6"W x 19.3"D. 
      Weight: 72.19 lbs. $449.99

So I asked masterbuilt if Sam's would still be selling the new smoker when it comes out. And there response was "yes, but not until this fall at all of our retailers"

Ugh! How long do I have to wait! It was supposed to be march/April from what they told me before. Now should I wait or just get the current one....d*** it....I got some smoking to do this summer!

I'm also due for a new smoker and would really like to see the new 40 before I decide what to get. Cabela's is down to 3-4 weeks on backorder for the new model.

Ya I think it would be better for their sales too to sell them in the spring so people can use them during the summer. The real question is when does Sam's get it. 150 cheaper than cabalas. It looks like a lot has improved with the new model so I don't want to settle on the current one

unless there have been some changes made that are not posted. I guess i am on my last MES. I have the MES 40 w/ the 850 element and the recovery time is awful . i cant see how dropping to a 650 watt can be any good at all. sounds to me like they are pulling at straws trying to solve problems and are going to end up making more problems. The 850 watt has a very hard time getting over 250 degrees cooking temp. So i can't see how a 650 will be any better.

If there is no top exhaust vent then that is another strike against the unit. The MES puts out a lot of steam and it needs to have somewhere to escape.

This will also affect the use of the AMNS and AMNPS  as you will have trouble getting enough air to keep them lit.

like i said , If what is shown and posted is all there is , MES may have screwed the pooch on this one.
I contacted Masterbuilt via email and asked about the wattage on NEW MES 30 & 40 models, I included the advertising above.  I was told that was a mistake, the wattage WILL NOT CHANGE from the 1200 w for MES 40 and 800w for MES 30.

I also asked for a updated spec sheet for both the 30 & 40, and they said they didn't have them ready yet.

There are design changes, but there is NO way that an MES can operate without a exhaust vent, so whoever is saying there is no vent that is plain foolishness.

Eman says that recovery with his MES40 and 800watt element is awful.  I have the MES 40 with 800 watt element, and I know what he is talking about, however I have pointed out many times in posts, that if MES owners preheat their MES it helps recovery by a huge amount.  Some basic procedures need to be followed, 1st allow the meat to come to room temp, 2nd the colder the outdoor ambient the longer the preheat, below 40º 2+ hours, and less time the warmer it is outside. 3rd when you are ready to put your meat in put boiling water in first then the meat, don't use cold water.  (I guess you could cold water in and start preheating, never tried it.)  However I get excellent results in my procedure in order to achieve repeatability/consistent results I try not to deviate to much.   Set temp (i.e. 225º) will take awhile during first hour, but whatever your inside temp is at during that 1st hour say 190º if you open the door and quickly close it, you will recover in less 10-15 minutes, instead of 20-40º.  The same will be true once you achieve set temp and open door.  Also rem that the larger the load the longer the smoker will take to achieve set temp, however that doesn't mean the meat isn't cooking properly, it is.

MES 40 & 30 owners with the newer higher wattage models obviously will have fewer issues with recovery and how fast the MES achieves set temp. However preheating should nominally  help higher wattage models too. 

The Sam's Club in Concord, CA and Roseville, CA have the new 40" model in stock for $299.

I just bought one last week though I have not yet opened the box.

The Sam's Club in Concord, CA and Roseville, CA have the new 40" model in stock for $299.

please show us a pic  when you open it. the sams here tried to tell me that they had the new unit but it was the 2011 unit w/ the controller still at the top rear center .

Ya, pic would be great! And the vent location everyone is wondering about! Lol!

Haven't been here in awhile. We sold our house and are residing in an apartment while we are having a new house built. Of course my MES is in storage until we move -- Mid to Late May.  Bummer.  Anyway, I am interested in the new model, but like others am concerned about lower wattage. Living in Austin, TX means mild winters, so extreme cold is not a problem. I was considering an upgrade to the 2011 model 40" with back wheels and bar to move it around. Does anyone know if this new model has those?

Haven't been here in awhile. We sold our house and are residing in an apartment while we are having a new house built. Of course my MES is in storage until we move -- Mid to Late May.  Bummer.  Anyway, I am interested in the new model, but like others am concerned about lower wattage. Living in Austin, TX means mild winters, so extreme cold is not a problem. I was considering an upgrade to the 2011 model 40" with back wheels and bar to move it around. Does anyone know if this new model has those?
Answer:  check out my post just a few posts above yours.

Sorry all, it looks like I was wrong, I saw "new" on the box, and that points out the new wireless remote and rear wheels so I figured this was the new model, but as you can see from the picture, it looks to be the 2011 model

de097121_IMAG1339.jpg

Just brought my new 30 home and seasoning it right now. It's branded "Cajun Injector", has digital controls right above the door also has built in temp probe.  It seemed to hit 275* in 1/2 an hour or so according to the display and started smoking right after I put chips in it after it was up to temp. It has a smoke vent on right rear corner, but is recessed a few inch's bellow the perforated skin of the smoker and has a push pull lever to work the vent. AT operating temp I did notice only 1 warm spot on the exterior where the temp probe holder is riveted to the top left side, other than that the exterior is outside room temp all over.  Have an AMSN smoker coming for it, so far I am really impressed with this unit. Much thanks to this site and this community for help in making this choice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky