1st Bacon Smoke w/Qview

Discussion in 'Smoking Bacon' started by pineywoods, Jun 21, 2009.

1. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

I put some bellies into the smokehouse and the temps have been less than 135 since and now that the sun is down the temps are running around 108 how long should I leave them in the smoke? 

[​IMG]

About 4 hours in

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  2. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I've never done bellies but I'll bet Cowgirl will be along shortly to help you out. Looking good so far though!

3. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Here they are at 5.5 hours and smokehouse temp is now 99
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Hi Piney
    I just made my first attempt at honey cured bellies. They turned out pretty good for the first time. I had to desaltnate them for about 3 hours (3, 1 hour complete water change outs. Put in the smoke house around 12:30 PM. Warmed up the house slowly with full draft for about 1 hour. Closed up draft to 1/4 and applied smoke (hickory) via external smoke guns.
    Everything went ok till about 6 PM when the stone base in my smokehouse finally warmed up to ambient temp, then the fun started! I had cut back my heat as far as I could, and she was still climbing to 148 degs. I could not keep the bacon internal temp from climbing. I finally pulled at around 9 PM when the internal got to 145 Degs.
    I think the next time I will not make any heat and only cold smoke the bacon, since it is cured I should be able to get away with that. The bacon will probally resemble store bought, but with a better taste.
    I don't think you need to worry about too low a temp, as compaired to getting enough smoke on the bacon. Just my opion.
    Dennis

5. By the way your 5.5 hour pictures look pretty good If it was me I wouldn't be too worried.

6. pineywoods

Here they are at 7 hours
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. irishteabear

irishteabear Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

They're looking good, Jerry! [​IMG]

8. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thats some mighty fine looking bacon there jerry. So far so good keep up the great work.

9. countrysmoked

countrysmoked Smoke Blower

do you still have the bellies in the smoker? I usually leave mine in overnight if I can keep the temps down. I only do bacon in the winter because of this temp problem. Yours is looking very good so far.

10. pineywoods

I went a total of 9 hours in the smoker. Thanks Bob for helping with my first bacon smoke. Here they are out of the smoke house. I used mostly pecan and cherry with just a little oak to get things going.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wow those slabs look picture perfect Jerry, Nice to see your first attempt went so well. How did the new smoke house perform?

12. That is some great looking bacon

13. Great looking bacon Jerry, I bet it tastes as good as it looks. Thanks for sharing!
    Looks like a must do here, ifn I can find some bellies... Buckboard is awesome, but I do miss all the FAT!!! [​IMG]
    Matt
    aka Rocky

14. ellymae

ellymae Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

So - let's see it fried up and hear your take on the taste - looks great!

15. Looks amazing! I think I need some bacon...

16. Hey Piney How is the Bacon??????? Mine is mm gud
    Dennis

17. pineywoods

Well Bob said I have to wait before I can slice it so I haven't gotten to try it yet but when I slice it you can bet I'll post it

18. pineywoods

Heres the bacon and it tastes great
    This is what was left after slicing and my brother in law already claimed it for doing a big batch of greens
    [​IMG]

Yum bacon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course we had to sample some
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. oneshot

oneshot Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Piney that's some great lookin bacon!!!![​IMG][​IMG]
    Do you need my address so ya can send me some????? lol[​IMG]