1st Bacon Smoke w/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
fantastic jerry-glad to have Another bacon maker on board-glad I could have helped.you will be playing with flavors next.but after HI Mtn. who needs huh?

After curing and washing well and a fry test I placed it in front of a fan to dry and form a kind of dry shine on the meat. Once dried I hung it in the smokehouse which was going already and smoked for 9 hours of which the first hour or so was at 131 then it never got over 110 in the smokehouse.

Jerry............. That is AWESOME. Looks like you have been doing bacon for a long time.

Side note: Personally I have found that for me, cold smoke longer than hot smoke. The last time I cold smoked bacon, I left it in the "Outhouse" alot longer than hot smoking (don't remember how long). I also prefer the cold smoked bacon over hot smoked bacon. Just my personal thoughts.

Points to you Jerry.

Your bacon looks awesome. I would like someone to answer that knows why when all of us follow the directions on curing bacon it comes out salty. Did yours? I did mine for 6 days and I had also soaked in fresh cold water for one hour before smoking and it was still a little salty for my liking. It looks really good.

Ron

Not sure I know the actual answer but all the cures I know of use salt as one of the main ingredients that serves as the catalyst to the osmosis and carries the cure into the meat (I think) What I do know is it sometimes leaves to much of a salty taste. What was recommended to me and has worked so far is to fry test after curing and rinsing it well. If you get a salty taste soak for an hour and try again if still salty change the water and soak for a couple more hours changing the water about every hour then test it again

That is some awesomely good looking Bacon.
points.gif

I Have only done belly bacon a total of 3 times, But all 3 times I did a cold smoke, Kept the temps below 110 degrees and I smoked for 12 to 14 hours each time.

I have been told that the bacon is some of the best many differant people have tasted.

I soaked mine in brine consisting of 1 gallon of water, 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup kosher salt for 12 days, pulled out of brine, let dry in fridge for a day, rubbed with real maple syrup, and did the cold smoke mentioned above.

I like it better than any store bought Bacon I have ever tasted, so this is the way I will be doing mine from here on.

Rich

Ablancher, you are so right, and Yes I do use cure 1 in my brine, Not sure why I didn't mention that in my first post, But i certainly do ad cure 1.

Thanks for catching my mistake.

Rich

No problem,  we try to keep an eye out for that stuff so the new guys learn.  And yes homemade bacon can not be compared to the stuff you buy at the market!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky