18 Lb Pork Shoulder Butt - WSM 22

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lostoften

Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
Appreciate any advice from the seasoned vets out their. This will be my first attempt at smoking this large of a piece of meat, and its for a party so pushing the timetable isn't going to be as acceptable as eating ribs at 11 PM like my first smoke (done several smokes since then).

The pork is a bone in pork shoulder butt 18.4 pounds.

The party is this upcoming Saturday at 6:30 so here is my plan.

Plan on setting the smoker up Friday as soon as I am home from work Friday and have meat hitting ~3PM @ 225. Will be fairly easy to monitor Friday night, will monitor every 3 hours overnight. Saturday AM, will likely need to pull from smoker wrap in foil and finish in oven @ 300. This hopefully will give enough time to let the shoulder rest in cooler wrapped before party.

Another option would be to borrow another smoker and divide meat and cook as too separate pieces.

Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated. If this only turns out half as nice as the last 8 lb boneless pork butt, it will be a hit!

Thanks

You should verify that you dont have 2 butts in a pack. There isnt a such thing as an 18lb butt. You may have and 18lb whole shoulder which is more likely. I'd definitely check it out though. Send pics if you need help

Reactions: thirdeye
It feels like 2 to myself, especially with reading other posts. However my brother stated his was one once he opened. Possibly he had a pork shoulder. However, there isn’t a break in the meat visible when looking from the side. The package is sealed, so not sure meat would last if opened now.

Attachments

• 237E7B69-5CC0-44D7-BB16-11133DFCCB3E.jpeg
    237E7B69-5CC0-44D7-BB16-11133DFCCB3E.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
You definitely have 2 butts. So likely 9lbs each which is an average butt size. Congratulations you just cut your cook time in half!

Reactions: thirdeye
Well that definitely seems more manageable! Will having both on the smoker slow the process down, or 90 mins- 2 hours per pound is still appropriate.

Nope doesnt matter how many butts you have on. As long as they have space between them. Cook time will depend on individual weight

Awesome will plan to give it about 18 hours then, for smoking both. I appreciate the advice and easing my anxiety

It feels like 2 to myself, especially with reading other posts. However my brother stated his was one once he opened. Possibly he had a pork shoulder. However, there isn’t a break in the meat visible when looking from the side. The package is sealed, so not sure meat would last if opened now.
I will agree with Jake, and the picture confirms there are two in that package. I’ve done two that size on my WSM 22 on the top rack overnight. Took 14 hours unwrapped. Using a full bag of royal Oak charcoal briquettes.

It will likely be finished in 12-14hrs if you wrap during stall. This is by no means a guarantee but its probably pretty close. You can leave a butt wrapped in foil and towels in a cooler for hours. I probably wouldnt let it sit more than 4hours. I almost always rest in a cooler for a couple hours

If the bark not terribly important, I would cook a couple days ahead and vac-seal, and reheat in an SV hot tub.
No chance of being late.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately work schedule doesn't accommodate smoking in advance.

So sounding more like a 12 AM start time, ~14 hour smoke (90 mins/pound vs 2 hrs), plus 2 hour rest + 2 hour cushion.

How often do you check in on it overnight? I am using a digiq to control temperature, and in the beginning I hardly have to make any adjustments. Thinking like a 3 AM and then 6 AM.

If you dont have a probe setup that has an alarm that will sound if pit temp drops then I wouldnt recommend 3hr intervals. Not fun walking up to a cold pit

My probes have an alarm, but nothing that communicates to my phone. I need to go to the smoker, and can check temps. If either is off there will be an alarm, but wont hear it until I open the door from the house.

My probes have an alarm, but nothing that communicates to my phone. I need to go to the smoker, and can check temps. If either is off there will be an alarm, but wont hear it until I open the door from the house.
Check out an inkbird 4 or 6 probe. Reasonably priced units that bluetooth to your phone

Awesome, just ordered their WiFi unit to be able to check temps when running kids to different events. Had been looking at the Ultraq to add the WiFi ability but didn't want to spend that much for similar functions.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky