140sMES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The 40 is easier to fit the pellet tube in the bottom. Can also put full rack of ribs on shelf without cutting. I been using the 40 with good success and just upgraded to a pellet smoker. I learned to not go by temp reading on smoker. Use external an adjust to what you want. There are temp differences through out smoker. I learned not to get obsessed with them. After getting the 40 I never used the 30 again.

Reactions: Kevinbthgrouse
Briskets fit better too.

Like Brian I don't use the internal temperature probe. I also replaced the On/Off control with a PID controller.

Mine has a glass window in the door. I took some temps to see how much heat I was losing. I covered the window insulation used in chimneys. After the window smokes over, you can't see anything anyway.

MES40DoorTemps.png

Briskets fit better too.

Like Brian I don't use the internal temperature probe. I also replaced the On/Off control with a PID controller.

Mine has a glass window in the door. I took some temps to see how much heat I was losing. I covered the window insulation used in chimneys. After the window smokes over, you can't see anything anyway.

View attachment 444178
I have a 30already just looking for something a little bigger..they also have the one that takes chunks but I like the chip loader as my mod will work with that

I had a 30 before the 40. I like the 40 better. I don't think they made the "chunk" model when I purchased.

I added the mailbox mod for long smokes and cold smokes.
I have a mod now on my 30.. I'm kinda thinking about the s model not the one that uses chunks with a separate element... that way my hose and mod from my MES 30 should work this is my current setup ..I did ribs last weekend and had to cut them

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1587773131584.jpg
    FB_IMG_1587773131584.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 8
I never regretted get the MES40 - and when it finally died and couldn't be saved - I bought another.

I have looked at the MES30 and while it looks like it would work fine, it would be tough to do big slabs of ribs, whole packer briskets, etc. without trimming them to fit.

- I never ever use water in the pan - no need - it is an oven and regulates its own temp
- The glass door does lose heat but it cycles the heating element more - and if you are using the chip tube - makes better smoke
- I always run it with the top vent wide open
- I hear a lot of complaints about the meat probes not being calibrated well. I run a testing lab and we do have certified calibrated thermometers and I have compared them to the meat probe - they are usually within 1F...totally acceptable. I have gone through about 5 meat probes (don't let them get rained on!)

I never regretted get the MES40 - and when it finally died and couldn't be saved - I bought another.

I have looked at the MES30 and while it looks like it would work fine, it would be tough to do big slabs of ribs, whole packer briskets, etc. without trimming them to fit.

- I never ever use water in the pan - no need - it is an oven and regulates its own temp
- The glass door does lose heat but it cycles the heating element more - and if you are using the chip tube - makes better smoke
- I always run it with the top vent wide open
- I hear a lot of complaints about the meat probes not being calibrated well. I run a testing lab and we do have certified calibrated thermometers and I have compared them to the meat probe - they are usually within 1F...totally acceptable. I have gone through about 5 meat probes (don't let them get rained on!)
I agree my 30 I have to cut the ribs

Fleet farm 279....I get a discount girlfriend works there so about 250

Okay, that's what I have been eyeing as well. I think today is the last day it's at that price (per the sign I saw in a MN store).

The 140B is now on sale at Fleet Farm for $220. From everything I have read it is the same except it doesn't have the meat probe at the window.

Most people on here say the meat probe is junk and the window seems to be 50/50 whether people like it.

I can't decide which way to go...

Okay, that's what I have been eyeing as well. I think today is the last day it's at that price (per the sign I saw in a MN store).

The 140B is now on sale at Fleet Farm for $220. From everything I have read it is the same except it doesn't have the meat probe at the window.

Most people on here say the meat probe is junk and the window seems to be 50/50 whether people like it.

I can't decide which way to go...
I have a 30 with window and I like the window...I use a Inkbird 6 probe therometer..I would get the s model

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky