Σουβλάκια. . .Souvlakia (Greek Shish Kebab)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
that pita doesnt look store bought

justplainbob justplainbob

Yep, store bought. We have a local Lebanese deli/grocery store here that makes and supplies pita bread for the entire Pittsburgh area. I used to make my own but theirs are fantastic and not expensive. Lets me concentrate on the fillings instead of the pita.

John

Last edited:
WOAH. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS THREAD JOHN. Totally agree with the others, the info and photos are stellar. Hope you a get a ride because the photos are professional level and might be the best I ever saw posted here. Killer job

justplainbob justplainbob already beat me to my first question! That pita looks INSANELY good.

Thanks, I put a lot of effort into my last couple posts and enjoyed sharing them. If a ride happens then it will be icing on the cake.

Check out thread #41

Thanks again,

John

I think I am going to start with John's soup and follow up with this for a spectacular Greek dinner. Probably next weekend with friends and my parents when we are in PA.

I hope they enjoy them as much as mu family does. . .Thanks'

Awesome John! And the pictures are magazine quality. I do almost the exact same thing. But use pork instead. Lamb is $$$ here.

Lamb cost a fortune here as well. . .Thanks Steve, I always enjoy your posts as well.

John

Wow! That dish and presentation is absolutely fantastic John! I think it deserves a ride on the carousel.
Thanks, If the ride happens it will just be icing on the cake. I just like sharing great recipies.

John

That looks Mighty Tasty, John!!!
Nice Job!
Like.
Hmmm, do they serve that in the cafeteria of the "2021 Pennsylvania State Champion Football Team, of Mt Lebanon"?

Bear
Thanks Bear. Thanks for the Like. . .No, those knuckleheads probably get Mac & Cheese.

John

Thank you! I’ll give it a try when it gets just a little nicer out 👍
Great, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

John

Wow! Bookmarked and another thing to make. I’ll be doing this regularly once it gets nicer out.

The wife and I do all kinds of skewers on the grill. Your souvlakia will do great to add a little variety for us.
Variety is the spice of life. . .I hope you enjoy them,

John

The recipe and photos look amazing!

Thanks, I put a lot of effort into them.

John

Well John, you went and done done it buddy. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was gonna make this for a friend who is Greek. Just found out that his birthday is in a couple weeks so I'm gonna do a full blown Greek meal for him. It will feature the soup you posted recently, this for the main course, and a nice Greek salad. I'm also gonna fabricate a really nice cart for him to keep a grill on that I built and he bought from me. His wife and I are conspiring but the main parts of the meal will be fro posts you have made. Thank you sir for your contributions!!

Robert

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Well John, you went and done done it buddy. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was gonna make this for a friend who is Greek. Just found out that his birthday is in a couple weeks so I'm gonna do a full blown Greek meal for him. It will feature the soup you posted recently, this for the main course, and a nice Greek salad. I'm also gonna fabricate a really nice cart for him to keep a grill on that I built and he bought from me. His wife and I are conspiring but the main parts of the meal will be fro posts you have made. Thank you sir for your contributions!!

Robert
Wow Robert,

I am honored that you are using my posts for your inspiration. I'm speechless!

If you need any help please feel free to ask my friend,

John

Yup, that’s fine dining right there. Looks so delicious. I like Greek on these lines. The gyros too. Nice work for sure.
Thanks SmokinEdge SmokinEdge . . .I have a process with gyros as well. Actually, I am on the Gyro Team of my church when we have our annual Greek Food Festival every August. Lots of work but a lot of fun!
Thanks for the kind words my friend,
John

Looks wonderful John, Great job on the souvlaki,
Beautiful final shot

We always use pork or chicken. I like to give them a squirt
of lemon or lime juice on the last turn on the grill just before the wrapping

David
I always give a squirt of lemon juice before I plate them. I didn't know if our members were as fond of lemon juice as I was so I didn't mention it in the post.

Thanks for the kind words,

john

I'm pretty new to this forum and I have to admit, That is one of the best, if not, THEE BEST history, presentation and pictures of someone's craft on here that I have come across. This is above and beyond mopping some sauce on a slab of meat and tossing it on a grill like I do. Your presentation and explanation of the food is truly a professional skill and art form. Well done!! P.S. Thanks for tossing in that Tzatziki Sauce recipe. Looking forward to making this whole thing.

I was a teacher for 35 years so the history excerpt just came second nature. I am hardly a professional when it comes to smoking meats or food presentation. I was just presenting what my mom and Ya Ya Marmorou taught me. The Tzatziki Sauce is just a basic recipe,but pretty tasty. I hope you enjoy your version as much as I enjoy mine. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks for the kind words,

John

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That's awesome!

Armenians pretty much make the same but for the most part with lamb.My great aunt made killer souvlaki.

Great thread.Brings up some good memories when everyone would show up at our house and cook everything on a charcoal grill and the old stove.And afterwards all the adults would drink that dark nasty triple brewed coffee out of demitasse cups.

I have a process with gyros as well. Actually, I am on the Gyro Team of my church when we have our annual Greek Food
I always give a squirt of lemon juice before I plate them. I didn't know if our members were as fond of lemon juice as I was so I didn't mention it in the post.

I love the lemon /lime as the last liquid before the wrap.
Here is what I posted back in Oct on the history of Donairs ( Gyros ) in the 70's here in Halifax we made thousands of the donairs and Souvlakia was a close second place. There was /and is a big festavel every Aug. here also. peter in the story was a big part of it back than.

David

That's awesome!

Armenians pretty much make the same but for the most part with lamb.My great aunt made killer souvlaki.

Great thread.Brings up some good memories when everyone would show up at our house and cook everything on a charcoal grill and the old stove.And afterwards all the adults would drink that dark nasty triple brewed coffee out of demitasse cups.
normanaj normanaj

My Man!

The same shenanigans always take place when Greeks get together. Ouzo, Great Food, Greek coffee (which I love) in the demitasse cups and telling lies! Love those times and wonderful people!

Thanks for the memories,

John

Last edited:
I love the lemon /lime as the last liquid before the wrap.
Here is what I posted back in Oct on the history of Donairs ( Gyros ) in the 70's here in Halifax we made thousands of the donairs and Souvlakia was a close second place. There was /and is a big festavel every Aug. here also. peter in the story was a big part of it back than.

David
WOW! There was some great looking food. . .The work load reminds me of our Greek Food Festival!

Thanks for sharing,

John

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Thanks for the recipes.
I like a touch of dill weed in my tzatziki. I'm going to try making it with Armenian cucumber this summer.

Yep, store bought. We have a Lebanese deli/grocery store that makes and supplies pita bread for the entire Pittsburgh area. I use to make my own but their's are fantastic and not expensive. Lets me concentrate on the fillings instead of the pita.
Even though you purchase pita bread, what you get is not what I would consider "store bought"

Thanks for the recipes.
I like a touch of dill weed in my tzatziki. I'm going to try making it with Armenian cucumber this summer.

Even though you purchase pita bread, what you get is not what I would consider "store bought"
You are quite welcome. . .I hope you enjoy them,

John

I think last year there was a member I believe of Middle Eastern decent who posted a really great thread on how to make pita bread. I have been looking for it but am not having much success.
There were several steps but each step was very easy and the final product looked great!

I'll keep searching,

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Fueling Around
Thanks for the recipes.

I personally use dill in my tzatziki as well, but did not include it in the recipe because dill can be overpowering if not used sparingly. "A pinch" can mean different things to different people.

But anyway, a pinch of dried dill can be added to the recipe. Thanks for the reminder.

I edited the recipe. . .Enjoy,

Tzatziki Sauce

• 1 cucumber
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
  • 18 oz of strained yogurt
  • 2 Tbsps red wine vinegar
  • a pinch of salt
  • a pinch of dried dill*
  1. Pour in a blender the olive oil and minced garlic. Blend until combined.
  2. Remove the skin and the seeds of the cucumber and grate it into a large bowl.
  3. Season with salt and pepper and leave aside for 10 minutes.
  4. Wrap the grated cucumber in a towel and squeeze in order to get rid of the excess water.
  5. In a bowl, add the cucumber, the blended garlic and oil, the yogurt, the red wine, salt , and blend until the ingredients are combined.
  6. Store the tzatziki sauce in the refrigerator and always serve cold.
* Dried dill can sometimes overpower a recipe if not added gradually. Taste to your liking as you go to avoid overpowering the tzatziki sauce.

John

Last edited:
I think last year there was a member I believe of Middle Eastern decent who posted a really great thread on how to make pita bread. I have been looking for it but am not having much success.
There were several steps but each step was very easy and the final product looked great!

I'll keep searching,

John
I think this is the thread.

Reactions: BandCollector
The Tzatziki Sauce is just a basic recipe,but pretty tasty.

A few years ago I posted gyros that I'd made and mentioned the tzatziki sauce. A forum friend "challenged" me to develop a "Texziki" sauce so I did. It was actually simple. Just sub jalapenos for the cucumbers. May sound odd but it was actually very good.

I personally use dill in my tzatziki as well

As do I. To me it just wouldn't be the same without the dill.

Robert

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky