What do I need to do legally to expand ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bear e good, Sep 14, 2014.

  1. bear e good

    bear e good Newbie

    Hello, I have a small retail Meat Business in Michigan where I sell all types of cuts of meat. I also make my own jerky and lunch meats and was interested in expanding that part of the business. Id like to sell jerky to other business's so they can put it in their stores and so fourth, what would I need to do for this to happen?
  2. Bear [​IMG]  I see this is your first post. When you get a chance will you drop by roll call so we can all give you a proper SMF welcome?

    You will need to be preparing  everything in a health inspected kitchen. Contact your local health inspector and find out what other rules you will have to fallow.

    Happy smoken.

  3. oldschoolbbq

    oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

    Bear , unfortunately , more $$$ [​IMG]
  4. chef willie

    chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    Yep, regs up the arm to consider BUT, one problem and you're finished so best to follow all regs. You will need to chat with your local Federal Dept of Agriculture official since you are/will be dealing with meat products. Check out any bag of jerky in any market and somewhere they will have the official seal for the US Dept of AG approval. I assume you are already an LLC since you have a retail operation and carry insurance up the wazoo in case of a lawsuit from someone claiming they got sick eating your stuff. The rest is easy.....work 24/7/365 to keep up with demand <grin>......Willie
  5. wade

    wade Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    I do not know the requirements in the US but I even think it differs by state. As recommended by Chef Willie contact your local Dept of Agriculture as they will be able to tell you exactly what is required. In the UK we have different requirements for selling directly to the public than selling through resellers or through restaurants.

    As a start, make sure your paperwork is complete at all times (required for HACCPs anyway), ensure that you have taken appropriate certified training in safe food handling - and that you have appropriate insurance. Full batch traceability will be essential too.

    There are a lot of hoops to jump through however if you have a product that people want to buy then it is well worth all of the hassle.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  6. Bear, as everyone has said, the regulations will vary depending on your state. I spoke to my local county food inspector today about a catering business and she'd asked if I would be selling only to the end user (such as you're doing now) or if I'd also be selling the other retailers (wholesale). She said if you're selling to other retailers, that is going to the states regulations and I would need to contact the Illinois Dept of AG. If you're planning on selling across state lines, I believe you'll then need to talk to someone on the Federal level. The state AG office should be your first stop. Good luck.

Share This Page