Wood stove smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

red300zx

Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Syracuse New York
I am not 100% sure if this is where this build should go, but I have a  old wood stove and was thinking about making a smoker out of it since I don't use it to heat anything and is just kind of a waste other wise. I was thinking of running some piping from the exhaust hole up to a 55 gallon barrel that is cut in half with gratings in it. I would either position it perpendicular with the barrel, but my concern with that would be that it wouldn't heat the chamber enough to cook the meat as well, or I could place it parallel and because the wood stove has more then one hole on the top of it. My concern with that is that it would heat the chamber too much though. This is the wood stove.

6cc39d24_S7300183.jpg

If the stove has an adjustable draft you can control the temp by restricting the source of oxygen to the fire. Once you get used to how much fuel it burns you can also have a great deal of control by varying the amount of coal/wood you use at a time. Keep us posted; this looks like it could be a cool build!

If the stove has an adjustable draft you can control the temp by restricting the source of oxygen to the fire. Once you get used to how much fuel it burns you can also have a great deal of control by varying the amount of coal/wood you use at a time. Keep us posted; this looks like it could be a cool build!
the only thing that controls the draft as it sits right now is the door, it does not have any other type of draft control

Red, morning....   Welcome to the forum......  On the hearth, it looks like there is some sort of adjuster.....  What is that for ??? I like your idea of the drum on top with racks etc....   I think it would make a great BBQ / smoker / heater....  Set it up in the garage and have a stack to the outside....  heat the garage in the winter, smoke some brisket, set up a few chairs, watch the games on the tube.... A real man cave with indoor BBQ....  Dave

Reactions: red300zx
921e8eea_qqq019.jpg
i have a smoker built out of the exact wood stove here is a  pic, used a hot water tank mounted

ontop of that stove  that thing on the hearth is the damper pull it out creates an adjustable crack for air.it

has 3 round replacement grills inside fits near perfect used hi temp rtv as a door gasket, t post driven into the ground support the tank onto the stove use a large old cooking pan directly over the heat entry as a difuser/water pan  built it in a cuple hours just got the idea had everything laying around thru it together

it works not my best smoker to date but worked

Last edited:
921e8eea_qqq019.jpg
i have a smoker built out of the exact wood stove here is a  pic, used a hot water tank mounted

ontop of that stove  that thing on the hearth is the damper pull it out creates an adjustable crack for air.it

has 3 round replacement grills inside fits near perfect used hi temp rtv as a door gasket, t post driven into the ground support the tank onto the stove use a large old cooking pan directly over the heat entry as a difuser/water pan  built it in a cuple hours just got the idea had everything laying around thru it together

it works not my best smoker to date but worked
yup looks to be the same,  I plan on going horizontal with the barrel unlike when you went vertical with yours, but im sure it would both work the same.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky