Why the mailbox mod?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I use the mailbox so I can use the AMNPS or AMNTS for hands off long smokes, but also to be able to change wood flavors without having to open the smoker. My Salmon dishes start out with Alder and end up with Apple.

Reactions: daveomak
If you live in a warm weather area of the country you can also create draft by running a fan to blow horizontally/perpendicular over the vents and the gust will draw air up and out of the smoker causing draft.

In TX I our low temps don't get too low for me to turn on the MES to have heat generate a draft. If I do that I can no way keep the smoker under 70F temp for cold smoking needs.

I actually made a contraption that is a chimney that fits over my vent and has a computer blower fan blow upwards in the chimney which creates draft sucking air out of the smoker. Fixed all my nasty stale smoke flavor issues when cold smoking :)

As for turkey breast, be sure to brine it (at least salt + water) or inject it or you will wind up with a dry turkey breast :(
Also if doing skin on all poultry skin wants to be rubbery unless cookd at higher temps so if you can get your smoker to 325F or so then that should give you edible skin. If 275F smoker temp is as high as you can go then I would suggest smoking at 225F for like 3 hours or until internal temp on the turkey breast is like 135F then throw skin side down on a hot grill and the heat from the grill will whip the skin into shape and bring the breast tmep up to 165 F :)

Reactions: MJB05615
Alright thank you. I’ll have to give that a try. I’ve got 2 vents at the top. Would you add the duct to each?

Hi Sig!!
Your Giants are hurting without my Neighbor "Barkley". I hated to see him go down, he's really something!!!
Can you post a picture of your MES interior? I'd like to know more about which one you have, with the dual top vents.

Bear

Hi Sig!!
Your Giants are hurting without my Neighbor "Barkley". I hated to see him go down, he's really something!!!

Bear
As a lifetime Giants fan, thank you for your concern. We are trying to dig out of an 8 year slump. Then when Barkley went down, ouch!! Gotta keep on keepin' on. BTW also a lifetime Mets fan because I haven't suffered enough, lol.

Hi Sig!!
Can you post a picture of your MES interior? I'd like to know more about which one you have, with the dual top vents.

Bear
Yes I can. Just give me a cou
Hi Sig!!

Bear
Hi Sig!!

Bear
Hi Bear,
Yeah Barkley going down was devastating. He’s such a nice guy to you hate to see it. Here are two pictures as requested. The interior picture please don’t mind the mess haven’t figured out how to clean that crap yet. Also it has a top heating element. Can’t really see the vents from the inside. But you can see them on the top view.

Sig

Attachments

• 4F96EA83-8BB5-4A7A-B4D1-0CC2DF41968A.jpeg
    4F96EA83-8BB5-4A7A-B4D1-0CC2DF41968A.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 7A68132F-58FE-478B-9896-C2FA28BAA28C.jpeg
    7A68132F-58FE-478B-9896-C2FA28BAA28C.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 32
don’t mind the mess
That's not a mess . Scrape off the loose stuff , let the rest burn off . I think I commented on that above .
Interesting that they put 2 vents , but the volume is equal to one . I understand what they are trying to do , and I'm sure that upper element plays into that .
Seems to me they should have dropped the vents thru that upper baffle for air flow , but that might cause to much heat loss at the upper element .

Looks like a MB20073519 bluetooth smoker with broiler.
That’s correct. For the record the Bluetooth works pretty well. Especially since the digital display is not bright at all. Not sure if it’s just mine or not. But yeah they market it as a “broiler”.

That’s correct. For the record the Bluetooth works pretty well. Especially since the digital display is not bright at all. Not sure if it’s just mine or not. But yeah they market it as a “broiler”.

Thanks for posting the Pics.
That's what I figured, it's the one with the Broiler in the top.
So in answer to your earlier question, I would say if you're going to add an extension to a top vent, I would add one to each side, and make them adjustable.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky