Mailbox Mod Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
I recently purchased a Masterbuilt 30" Electric Smoker and wish to make a smoke generator using my AmazN tube or tray in a rural mailbox. I had one in the past but sold it along with my old MES years ago (dumb move to be sure).

My dilemma is that I cannot find any steel mailboxes that are not made from galvanized steel.

Do any of you know if such a thing exists?

Thanks in advance,

John

why does it have to be a mailbox? Seems like I seen a picture of someone using a small Weber 14”ish one time as a smoke box.

Reactions: JLeonard
why does it have to be a mailbox? Seems like I seen a picture of someone using a small Weber 14”ish one time as a smoke box.
I am comfortable using a mailbox because I have built one in the past and worked out all the flow problems, so I know exactly how to make it for ultimate air flow.

I recently saw stainless post mount boxes at Lowe's but they were also $275!

An ammo can would be a good substitute. About the size of a mailbox just opens from the top. You could still drill your intake and exhaust holes the same I would think.

Reactions: SmokeRing0909
im not sure if I ever seen a store bought mailbox that wasn’t galvanized metal. maybe you could coat the inside of the box with something else like powder coat or whatever that is safe.just trying to be helpful over here

I recently saw stainless post mount boxes at Lowe's but they were also $275!

An ammo can would be a good substitute. About the size of a mailbox just opens from the top. You could still drill your intake and exhaust holes the same I would think.
I'm beginning to think that steel no longer exists without the galvanized coating.

im not sure if I ever seen a store bought mailbox that wasn’t galvanized metal. maybe you could coat the inside of the box with something else like powder coat or whatever that is safe.just trying to be helpful over here
I understand. Appreciate your input but there was a time when you could buy a steel mailbox without the galvanized coating. I'm beginning to think that they no longer are made without the coating.

Thanks again,

John

Reactions: SmokeRing0909
John , they sell aluminum . Should be able to get one at Lowes or Home depot .
Never seen them in any store so I just assumed they were obsolete.So I went on both sites and they have 'em for $50,you have to order one and have it shipped to the store.The one(s) I saw was painted but its easily stripped in no time.

Never even occurred to me to look online!

Reactions: chopsaw
Mines galvanized , but I saw the aluminum at a store one time . It was a return , so I was wondering if you had to special order .
I have a cast aluminum one in the garage that the neighbor kid decided to run down a few years ago . 400 bucks .

Amazon has them too .

Gibraltar use to produce an all aluminum mailbox like mine pictured here, but no longer. Another option is their all aluminum mailbox painted on the outside and not painted on the inside, which I believe is still available. Black is model ADM11B01.

IMG_0700.jpeg
IMG_0696.jpeg
IMG_3421.jpeg

Last edited:
Remember, you're cold smoking. And the metal should never get near the point that the galvanizing will off gas. I've been using mine for a few years now. And the ambient temp in the mailbox never got over 120 degrees. Even in the summer for smoking.
Thanks Steve,

I understand that the zinc coating would require a great deal of heat to give off gasses but I tend to lean toward the careful side of the fence.

Thanks again pal,

John

Reactions: Steve H
Gibraltar use to produce an all aluminum mailbox like mine pictured here, but no longer. Another option is their all aluminum mailbox painted on the outside and not painted on the inside, which I believe is still available. Black is model ADM11B01.

Thanks Craig,
Looks like they have gone to galvanized as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky