When do you pull off your point cuts when making burnt ends?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KCowTown

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
Kansas City
Hello all, im currently making two points for burnt ends on my pellet smoker. Its been 5 hours at around 215 degrees, but last time i cooked points, i thought they were done but they were still chewy. So finally to my question, how do you know when to pull the point to cube without having to render them in the oven forever? Internal temperature? Bark? Thanks for any help.

I go by feel. I don't want it too tender since that makes it harder to cube, and they will finish tenderizing in the pan with sauce. Keep them cooking in the pan until they reach the tenderness you want.

Reactions: KCowTown
I will pull the point at 165 and cube. Sauce and sugar then into the pan and back into the smoker. If I'm only making burnt ends I'll put my probe in the middle of the pan and pull at 205. If I split the point off the flat and I'm finishing the flat I don't worry so much about the ends I will just pull everything when the flat reads 205 and a toothpick slides in like butter. Also 215 might be a bit low to run at. 225 is the lowest I will smoke brisket at. I try to run 275 - 280.

Tenderness it is! First photo was at 5hr mark, pulled at 7ish hrs and cubed 4 pounds and sauced them, put them back on. Now just waiting for the perfect rendered out amount to pull. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• Resized_20180524_145131.jpeg
    Resized_20180524_145131.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Resized_20180524_165642.jpeg
    Resized_20180524_165642.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 51
KCT those are looking pretty good. Look forward to seeing the final product. I learned the hard way that just because your thermo says 205 it doesn't mean its done. For me it's toothpick test every time. @SmokinAl has some great step by step for brisket and butts. He's not called a smoking guru for nothin'

Looking good so far... but I cry every time a point is removed from a brisket lol :'(

Mine come pre trimmed and seperated, think i paid 18 bucks for 4 pounds, burnt end chilli and quesidillas to come!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky