What to do with a thin belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
IMG_1873.jpeg

I went freezer diving for pork loin and found this thin belly rolled up, I remember now that it was a skin on full belly I bought and skinned to make fried pork rinds, the thicker part went for bacon but this 2Kg piece (3/4 to 1/2” thick) I rolled and froze not sure what to do with it about 4-5 months ago. Well lets not waste it.

I put this down in my normal dry cure today. Then after about 12 days I will pull it out and clean it up and soak in red wine for at least 24 hours, then dry it off and apply a typical copicala rub, roll it tight and net it, then hot smoke it. Should be fun and delicious as it will be different.

I was going to say make thin bacon, but your idea sounds so much better.

I'm tagging along
Point in advance
Chris

Reactions: SmokinEdge
View attachment 689239
I went freezer diving for pork loin and found this thin belly rolled up, I remember now that it was a skin on full belly I bought and skinned to make fried pork rinds, the thicker part went for bacon but this 2Kg piece (3/4 to 1/2” thick) I rolled and froze not sure what to do with it about 4-5 months ago. Well lets not waste it.

I put this down in my normal dry cure today. Then after about 12 days I will pull it out and clean it up and soak in red wine for at least 24 hours, then dry it off and apply a typical copicala rub, roll it tight and net it, then hot smoke it. Should be fun and delicious as it will be different.
I rarely have any that size, but it would get cubed and air fried for PB tacos.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I love this idea, and I like it very crispy outside than Char Siu.

I'm in for the trip

Eric what will the red wine do in the soak ??

David
The wine will bring a nice back flavor to complement the spice blend I will rub it with. I love wine with Italian flavors. I make a few different Italian sausages, some with white and some with red wine.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
This will be used more with say a pasta dish like a creamy carbonara. Might be fun in an Italian BLT with fresh basil and mozzarella , and on pizza of course.

This all sounds good. I like it when I can get the skin crunchy when tied in a circle and sliced and in a bun like a burger, with a sharp flavourful coating .

David

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky