Be gentile, I'm a virgin... at dry curing and makin' bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Rolling smoke...

LSG (front) has a "Cold Smoke" mode. Fills pot with pellets, gets them burning, then shuts fan off and lets them smolder.
Will last up to 4 hours depending on how much the chimney is open.

The CampChef (rear) has a "Cold Smoke" mode also, but it just runs the fan. You provide the smoke box.

Rolling Smoke 2024-04-01.jpg

It looks like everyone here has you covered and you're well on your way to great bacon!

I've done bacon in my Traeger and in my Bradley. Both do a fantastic job of smoking bacon. The Traeger has similar temp swings - +/-20f on the 160f smoke setting. When I did it in the Bradley, I used a pellet tray and finished the bellies in the oven.

Yes, partial freezing makes slicing so much nicer. I have a home grade slicer which makes it easier yet, but it can be done with a knife.

Looking forward to the finished pics.

Reactions: 02ebz06
I let mine dry 4 or 5 days uncovered in the fridge before slicing. Really adds a ton of flavor

I let mine dry 4 or 5 days uncovered in the fridge before slicing. Really adds a ton of flavor

Leave it the whole process, at least 12 days naked Jake. You would be amazed. Cooks better in the pan to, browns very easy it’s just delicious.

Leave it the whole process, at least 12 days naked Jake. You would be amazed. Cooks better in the pan to, browns very easy it’s just delicious.
I gotcha. Between taking mine out of bag and my smoking process and rest’s in between and the extra 4-5 days after smoking I end up at about 8 days of drying time after the initial 14 day cure in the bag. So from start to finish I’m at around 23-24 days

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I gotcha. Between taking mine out of bag and my smoking process and rest’s in between and the extra 4-5 days after smoking I end up at about 8 days of drying time after the initial 14 day cure in the bag. So from start to finish I’m at around 23-24 days
It’s all good brother. So I’m guessing you cold smoke? If so that’s the same dry step. And that’s perfect.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Yup, so on the drying we are talking the same language. I have nothing more to add to that. You know the good stuff, for sure.

Reactions: TNJAKE
As far as the mild flavor, Jake posted that he lets his sit in the fridge uncovered a few days before slicing to up the flavor. I rest mine also, but under saran wrap. I'll omit the saran wrap next time to see. I do think a rest in the fridge after the smoke is one of the keys.

I know it's mighty hard to not eat half the batch while it's resting, whether sausage or bacon lol.

Reactions: JLeonard and TNJAKE
Mild...as in it needs more smoke? If so, throw it back on the cold smoke for a few hrs.

Got it all sliced and vacuum sealed.
Did half and half -thick and thin.
Six pounds vacuum sealed and another 1/2-3/4 that I trimmed off to square it up for the slicer.
That will get cooked tomorrow. :emoji_slight_smile:

A little less than $5 a pound. Better than what they charge in the store.

Bacon 2024-04-08_1.jpg

Bacon 2024-04-08_2.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky