What are you listening to ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I been listening to some cover bands lately on Youtube. Some are pretty good. Couple are THE HINDLEY STREET COUNTRY CLUB and The Iron Cross. Love watching Larissa Liveir play the guitar.

Willies Roadhouse, Sirius XM. Part of our Dish TV package. All strictly country, no modern or wannabe country either.

Reactions: 912smoker
Playing several gigs with a guy that plays 70s, 80s real country and southern rock.
King George, Merle ,Willie, Bocephus...
Then have a show next month with beach music group. Gotta sharpen up on some Tams and Swinging Medallions.
But here's what I listen to the most.

Keith

Got tickets to see Willie Nelson at the Greek Theater in Berkeley CA next Wednesday. Tonight it is Steel Pulse also in Berkeley then after that off to NOLA for Jazzfest.

Willie still performing ???
Watched a special honoring him a few weeks back and he didn't look so good.

My thread has died, but I'll revive it .............

Today, the mailman brought me Joe Bonamassa Live at the Hollywood Bowl.

Extremely unique, he has a 40 piece orchestra backing him up. This is big band sound, wow. I don't know whose idea this was, or who did the arrangement, but I'm enjoying it.

Joe is digging back into his catalog for a lot of these songs. Its almost a greatest hits album.

I first wondered if the members of this 40 piece orchestra were really buying into backing up a blues/rock band. But the further I get into it, I think they're maybe enjoying this change from playing Bach and Beethoven.

If you don't know Joe......... well, he really is Average Joe ........... I think this gal did a great job of defining Joe. And I did not know he was a barbecue fan, in this vid, he goes to Peg Leg Porkers joint in Nashville .

Peg Leg Porkers was such a disappointment. Was in Nashville 2 years ago and went there and to Shotgun Willie's. Not sire Peg Leg Porkers has a real smoker.

I saw Joe B at NOLA Jazzfest and opening for the Roling Stones in Seattle. Both were solid performances. Opening for Stones is tough because no one cares but he was able to capture the crowd which wasn't done at any of the other 4 shows I caught.

Reactions: crazymoon
There a band called Lilac I going to Tulsa to see in August. They are a young group that plays stuff like Metallica and Black Sabbath. Look pretty good on their Youtube video's. It is about a 4 hour drive so probably spend a couple days there. Not sure what there is to do in Tulsa but find something. I got a table for three so have a couple extra tickets for Aug 13th.

There a band called Lilac I going to Tulsa to see in August. They are a young group that plays stuff like Metallica and Black Sabbath. Look pretty good on their Youtube video's. It is about a 4 hour drive so probably spend a couple days there. Not sure what there is to do in Tulsa but find something. I got a table for three so have a couple extra tickets for Aug 13th.

Mrs Okie and I loved going to Tulsa for concerts. Life changes and the pandemic has kept us away for a few years, however.

But when we went, I'd use Priceline to book a room a the downtown Hyatt Regency. At that time, I could get the room for under $100. From there, we could walk to the music venues, what was then known as The Brady before they became politically correct. And the Cains Ballroom. There were a lot of good acts going through there.

The district just north of downtown was known as The Brady District, I don't know what they call it now, but there's a lot of good eating and drinking establishments there. We enjoyed McNellies. IDK how many are left after the pandemic. Haven't been there.

If you're looking for barbecue, the place most Tulsans say is the best, is Burn Co. They had a near downtown location that caught fire and they did not reopen, but they're in south Tulsa now. Burn Co cooks on nothing but Hasty Bakes. Its baby back ribs and fattys, that they specialize.

I've heard good things about Macs BBQ in Skiatook, which is just east of Tulsa, maybe a suburb. Its been around since the late 80's and was started by a comp cook who now has turned it over to his SIL Adam Greene. I've not eaten there, but I did go to a whole hog collaboration at Butcher BBQ with him and two others. Wish they'd do it again.

The Oklahoma Joe, Joe Davidson has opened an Oklahoma Joes in Tulsa. Not been there. Don't know how much its like the Joes in KC that he part owned.

Tulsa has a great aquarium that since you fish, you would enjoy.

I really enjoy Tulsa. When I was a young man I grew up in a town inbetween Tulsa and OKC. I made the decision to come to OKC. It was the wrong move, should've gone to Tulsa.

Peg Leg Porkers was such a disappointment. Was in Nashville 2 years ago and went there and to Shotgun Willie's. Not sire Peg Leg Porkers has a real smoker.

I saw Joe B at NOLA Jazzfest and opening for the Roling Stones in Seattle. Both were solid performances. Opening for Stones is tough because no one cares but he was able to capture the crowd which wasn't done at any of the other 4 shows I caught.

I've not been to Peg Leg Porkers. But I do know he has a real smoker. He also has some pretty good bbq credentials. I first heard of him from BBQ Pitmaster TV series over 10 years ago. I think his specialty is dry ribs. But I've not tasted the food, soooo .... IDK.

On X or Twitter or whatever ........... Joe is wondering how his fans will take to his band being backed up by a 40 piece orchestra. Mrs Okie is a huge Joe fan and she loved it and so did I. Its very unusual and I can't envision how they arranged the music. Joe says the conductor and two other people were involved.

This is pretty typical for old school Oklahoma barbecue joints .......... ribs, ribs, ribs, and more ribs, the brisket is chopped, and of course, some bologna .

BTW, on Mac's and their barbecue frito pie, lately I've seen some young guys from Texas on the internets who think barbecue frito pie was invented in Texas, recently.

I've not been to Peg Leg Porkers. But I do know he has a real smoker. He also has some pretty good bbq credentials. I first heard of him from BBQ Pitmaster TV series over 10 years ago. I think his specialty is dry ribs. But I've not tasted the food, soooo .... IDK.

On X or Twitter or whatever ........... Joe is wondering how his fans will take to his band being backed up by a 40 piece orchestra. Mrs Okie is a huge Joe fan and she loved it and so did I. Its very unusual and I can't envision how they arranged the music. Joe says the conductor and two other people were involved.
After eating we searched for the smoker or at least the smell of smoke and found neither. Dry ribs is a good description. Was closer to jerky with boned than ribs.
The orchestra backup can go either way. Glad you enjoyed it.

After eating we searched for the smoker or at least the smell of smoke and found neither. Dry ribs is a good description. Was closer to jerky with boned than ribs.

He has a roti, probably an Old Hickory or a JR Oyler. Those can be gas assist, electric assist, or run strictly on wood.

We are heading to Mankato MN to see the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band tonight.
Nitty.jpg

Reactions: Smokin Okie

Its an Ole Hickory roti ...........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky