Ukrainian smoked cheese - brine?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doughboysigep

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 16, 2015
Delhi, NY
I had some Ukrainian smoked cheese the other day - after a Google search, I think it was a braided string cheese, and, after another search, I think it was Chechil. It was phenomenal!! I was amazed by the saltiness of the cheese. The cheese, salt, smoke combo was great. Looking at a site for Chechil, it appears that the cheese comes salty. At first I thought it must be brined, but not sure how it gets salty.

What do folks think about using a salt brine on cheese prior to smoking?? I found someone who soaks cheese in cheese cloth then smokes and thinking about trying it.

If you get a chance to have some Chechil, I highly recommend it.

Fresh Mozzarella is very bland until it gets a swim in Brine. I'm not sure how long but it gives you another place to look...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky