UDS temp problem /solution

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pineview bbq

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Central Illinois
So I finished my UDS last week and it looked great but when I seasoned it my temps were barely over 200 . I have 3 3/4 pipe nipples with 1 capped and two ball valves. With both valves all the way open still barely over 200 . I tried running it twice once to season and again with no meat to figure out the temps. Still scratching my head but then it hit me that the smoke stack was the culprit. I used a 2 in x 2 in pipe nipple with a 90*elbow thinking it would keep rain out . But the elbow was killing the draft every time there was a slight change in the wind. Now that I removed the elbow it's a 70 degree February day in central Illinois (go figure) and I got 2 slabs of ribs on with the UDS purring along at 235 -240 . Wanted to share this in case anybody else had this problem.

So I finished my UDS last week and it looked great but when I seasoned it my temps were barely over 200 . I have 3 3/4 pipe nipples with 1 capped and two ball valves. With both valves all the way open still barely over 200 . I tried running it twice once to season and again with no meat to figure out the temps. Still scratching my head but then it hit me that the smoke stack was the culprit. I used a 2 in x 2 in pipe nipple with a 90*elbow thinking it would keep rain out . But the elbow was killing the draft every time there was a slight change in the wind. Now that I removed the elbow it's a 70 degree February day in central Illinois (go figure) and I got 2 slabs of ribs on with the UDS purring along at 235 -240 . Wanted to share this in case anybody else had this problem.

Thanks for sharing...I'm sure it will save somebody else some problems!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky