UDS lid question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Charcoal Chump

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 5, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I used my UDS for the first time on the weekend and had some of the best ribs I've ever made, but that's another story. Before the UDS cooled down so I could put it back in the shed it started to rain, and rain and rain. The next morning when I went out to put it away some of the rain had leaked down into the smoker, not a lot but enough to be bothersome. It had got in through the holes where the 3/4" nipples come up. I have 4 3/4" x 1/2" nipples with 90 degree elbows on top for vents.
Anyways is there any type of caulking or sealant I could use on the outside to seal these up in case it happens again? Like maybe for a wood stove or fireplace?
Thanks for any input.

Dieter

Thanks for the tips guys, I was thinking of using a kettle lid but the cheapest used kettle I could find was $80 on Kijiji and the black iron parts only cost me $11.
Thanks for the feed back.

Look for an "off" brand. Not sure about your location but here we can buy a Walmart 22.5 Weber knock off, brand new, for about 50. You can reuse the grates and the lid, recycle the rest of the grill.

I have Weber Performer and tried the lid from it and it is a little too small, leaves about a 1/4 inch gap on one side, would need to modify it but seeing as I us it a lot I would need a second. The Walmart in my area only sells a Weber for $149 and that is also all they show on the Walmart Canadian website.

Ummm... I thought you just needed to use high temp caulk around the elbow exhaust pipes on the lid to seal it.. why don't you just seal it like you planned? What's all this new lid and gap talk? RTV red sealant I sent link. couple bucks.. Done!
You can just cover the thing with a .10¢ garbage bag..

I am heading to Home Depot in the morning to get the sealant you recommended, been a busy week getting snow tires on my family's cars. I just tried my Weber lid on the drum and found it doesn't fit right. I found an old central air conditioner cover that I will be using to cover it and just use some bungee cords to keep it on.

I am heading to Home Depot in the morning to get the sealant you recommended, been a busy week getting snow tires on my family's cars. I just tried my Weber lid on the drum and found it doesn't fit right. I found an old central air conditioner cover that I will be using to cover it and just use some bungee cords to keep it on.

Yes! Yes! Yes! good deal sir..

Good choice!

Hope it works out..

Lol.. have fun!

Oh.. People here have modified the Weber lids to get them to seal better.. Tac Weld rings on to tighten it up.. Etc.. You can do a new lid one day. Is some stuff here for those mods to read.. It gives you more room on that top rack for big bulky stuff is mostly why they use kettle lids. You can raise the top rack to hang junk off of it and it's farther from the charcoal.. And what not.. lol Take care..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky