UDS clean enough on inside now?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mshred

Original poster
May 14, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Hey guys! Currently building my first UDS and am wondering if the inside is clean enough (re: bare metal) to clean and oil/ season? 2 burnouts on a drum with a liner for vegetable oil. Here are some pics, the bottom no longer looks like that but that's what it all looked like inside after the burnouts and before sanding. What do you guys think??? More sanding or is it good to go?
GALLERY]

Oil it good with spray oil or something similar....  fire up a basket of charcoal and heat for a few fours at 400-450 to cure the oil to the metal..    Add some smoking wood and smoke at 150-200 ish for a few hours to coat the inside with smoke...    You should be good to go....   If you add chunks, bury them in the charcoal so they don't flame....   Flame consumes smoke.. 

Oil it good with spray oil or something similar....  fire up a basket of charcoal and heat for a few fours at 400-450 to cure the oil to the metal..    Add some smoking wood and smoke at 150-200 ish for a few hours to coat the inside with smoke...    You should be good to go....   If you add chunks, bury them in the charcoal so they don't flame....   Flame consumes smoke.. 

:yeahthat:

Dave is spot on!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input fellas! Will do! Only thing left to do is make my charcoal basket, but im thinking I can just throw a grate in the bottom with charcoal for now and light those coals, which should hopefully be enough to cook it at that temp and for the right amount of time.

For some reason didn't get notifications that there were replies to this thread, so thanks guys!

Thanks for the input fellas! Will do! Only thing left to do is make my charcoal basket, but im thinking I can just throw a grate in the bottom with charcoal for now and light those coals, which should hopefully be enough to cook it at that temp and for the right amount of time.

For some reason didn't get notifications that there were replies to this thread, so thanks guys!
In your profile,   "Edit Account Details".....
[h3]Site Wide[/h3]
Save my content drafts as I type

Show an alert when I receive a new message

Check those items and any others you want....

Reactions: mshred
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky