Truffle powder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oddegan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
Fremont Michigan
Has anyone ever used truffle powder to flavor sausage? I've got something in mind but I don't have any idea how much to use per pound. A little goes a long way and I don't want to over power it. I want to use a 50/50 meat ratio ground pork and minced beef. I wondered if I could learn from someone else's experience.

White or black truffle? What brand?

Do you have a gram scale?

I would start small - 1/4 gram per pound with HALF the meat. Mix. Make a taste patty. Adjust the truffle powder or meat accordingly.

Please report your results - I'm very interested!

It's made from white truffles. My friend gave me some so I would have to ask what brand it is. The smell is overwhelming. I'm going to take 1 pound of ground pork and add 1/4 gram like you suggested and fry that up in 1/4 pound increments. Adding if necessary. I'll use that to calculate for the entire recipe. I'm going to use Tender Quick as a curative as well as cooking it. I plan on putting it in the smoker and ramping the temp slowly to 170 to dry it out. No smoke. I can run my MES30 at lower temps than my oven. What I'm looking for is the same texture of pepperoni. I plan on this being part of a charcuteri board for a beer and wine tasting.

OK after some experimenting I am using a 50/50 mix of course ground pork butt and minced lean beef sirloin.
1 tsp. Per pound
Tender Quick
Minced dried garlic
Minced dried onion
White truffle powder
1oz. White wine per pound
I'll let it sit in the feidge overnight and case it tomorrow. I'll let it sit another 24 hours and then cook it slowly. Ramping the temp from 135 to 170. I'll quit at an IT of 160 and then dry in the fridge in an aging box. Should be ready in about a week. Or not.

OE,looks good, i would take it out at 155  and give it an ice bath down to 110-120 and then bloom for a few hours. Then vac seal and eat at your leisure. :)

Truffle is potent stuff.  You are right to err on the side of caution.  In my experience during my fine dining days it can be overused easily and take over a dish by those not in the know.  Is it pure truffle powder or diluted? 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky