Thermometer questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Tip, If you got time before doing breast whenever, soaking overnight in a brine will leave them oh so juicy.
Yeah it seems like chicken breast & turkey breast they recommend to brine the breast for a more juicy flavorable experience. Lol I got a lot to learn when it comes to bird.

I'm hoping to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving this year, if I feel I can do it.

Thanks.

Do you guys & gals think it would be beneficial for me to buy 2 more air temp/pit temp probes?

That way I can monitor the right, left, & center grill Temps in the grill.

I myself could see this being beneficial to learn & know what my grill is doing in different parts of the grill.

Thanks. Man this is great site. You all make me feel like im family😊

Do you guys & gals think it would be beneficial for me to buy 2 more air temp/pit temp probes?

That way I can monitor the right, left, & center grill Temps in the grill.

I myself could see this being beneficial to learn & know what my grill is doing in different parts of the grill.

Thanks. Man this is great site. You all make me feel like im family😊
Personally, nope, it’s money down the drain. If you have one probe on the grill surface that’s plenty and nothing else is needed. Just how my camp rolls.

Personally, nope, it’s money down the drain. If you have one probe on the grill surface that’s plenty and nothing else is needed. Just how my camp rolls.
I agree just try the biscuit test. Open a can of "whop" biscuits (that's the sounds it makes when you hit them on the counter🤣 ) and place them on the grate in rows.
Gives you an idea of hotspots.
And I love biscuits 😁

Keith

I have the same Thermoworks X4 unit and love the ease of use, and reliability.
I agree just try the biscuit test. Open a can of "whop" biscuits (that's the sounds it makes when you hit them on the counter🤣 ) and place them on the grate in rows.
Gives you an idea of hotspots.
And I love biscuits 😁

Keith
Thanks guys. Yeah I watched the biscuit test & the loaf of bread toast test on youtube to find the hot spot.

These Thermoworks Smoke X4 is No Joke on distance you can get from your grill before you loose transmission.

I had 8 houses, 1 brick school house between me & the temp unit, which was over a half mile away & still was transmitting the Temps. I finally got it to lose transmission when I walked inside our old limestone town post office. Which was well over a half of a mile.

I'm stoked about the range of the Smoke X4.

Thanks. Everyone.

I still need to do the biscuit test myself, just haven't got around to it. I found a thermapen on amazon pretty cheap, and I prefer it to all my other "instant" read thermometers. Actually I think I saw them for sale at Lowes as well, so might want to look next time your in a Lowes.

The statement about the weber taking a little longer is probably spot on, but my other ones take so much longer that it just wasn't worth it. Because you can't get a good reading right away, it tends to creep up, but which reading is correct? How do you know its been long enough? Thats basically why I got my thermapen. FWIW, my "other" ones were purchased at kroger, and I think one at sur la table, but they were inexpensive.

Also checking the temps with boiling water and ice bath is absolutely necessary. You might go so far as to do so with every cook. I've had probes that were just "inaccurate", causing bad cooks. So always a good idea to check them every so often.

Reactions: DieselTech
You'll love that Smoke X 4, just got one myself not long ago. We have a Weber instant read as well, kind of impressed with it... a year or more ago my wife dropped it into a pot of hot oil, dang thing still works!

Ryan

You'll love that Smoke X 4, just got one myself not long ago. We have a Weber instant read as well, kind of impressed with it... a year or more ago my wife dropped it into a pot of hot oil, dang thing still works!

Ryan
The Smoke X range is impressive. I think I'm going to love it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky