Pellet Grill Professionals. Couple Questions?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I agree with Jake, save your cash. At 250* or 300* your pellet smoker will hit 275* at some point with the fluctuations in temp. Use your therm to check actual grate temp, not what Pit Boss display says. The ability to adjust in 5-10 degrees increments in not needed for pork butt, brisket etc. You have a good set up, continue to cook and learn with it.

Reactions: DieselTech
Microwave the pellets for 2 minutes light with a hand torch let burn 5 minutes setting up, blow out lay it flat for the most smoke or prop it up some to slow it down, keep it away from your thermistor so it doesn’t fool it

So if I buy a Savannah Stoker controller? Will I have to cut my factory Pit Boss wiring harness? I'm just curious. My mind has kinda been set on a Savannah Stoker controller from all the reading I been doing.

Are there any other mods recommended?

Thanks. Lmao I never can leave anything stock!
No they have one that’s plug and play for your unit

The smoke tubes have worked great for me cold smoking. But as soon as I start putting heat/or using the grill, the smoker tubes would go out on me.
I can't say for sure what the problem is with your Pitboss, but with my Camp Chef Woodwind, the tube location in the smoker was critical. It would burn fully when placed on the left side during all hot cooks. If I set it anywhere else, it would go out within 15 minutes. Try placing it in different locations on the grates while hot smoking. I also used a c-clamp on the open end to keep the open end angled slightly upward.

Back to the original question, I do not like tubes. I use the Maze and never have trouble staying lit.

Edit: I didn't mention placement - always back left corner.
Yeah I purchased the 5x8" maze I'll try it today weather permitting.

Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky