The Red River Gets New Life

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
The fishing on the Red River in Denison Tx has been really slow. The last couple years they hardly even ran the generators the lake has been so low. With all the rain they have opened up the flood gates! This should bring new life to the river! This is a sight to see. Makes you dizzy looking down on it. I expect to start seeing air boats again. Might have to hitch a ride on my buddies. Should also bring the birds. Eagles have been slow this last week.

441284018_8293684340645657_4275510211432584407_n.jpg 438264698_10161344325390768_1363377235343414346_n.jpg

That is great! I am on Lake Lewisville and we are loving the lake being full, it is amazing what the influx of water will do for the fishing and wild life on the lake.

- Jason

Red river is considered part of Oklahoma thus you need an OK fishing licenses EXCEPT on the Texas side below the damn - from the damn to the mouth of Shawnee Creek where a Texas fishing licenses is required. They do check, ask me how I know...:emoji_wink:

I can remember back in my younger days they'd release way more water than they do now. I'm sure downstream flooding and erosion has lead to the change. I've seen some big fish hauled out below the damn. I'm sure the bite will be good again soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
I fished below the dam before dad bought a boat. One day the guys below us started yelling about a ugly fish. We went down to take a look, it was ugly and everyone was afraid to touch it. It was cut loose and kicked back in the river. Months later I was thumbing thru the dictionary and came across a picture of a sturgeon, that was the fish!

WE fished the lake with a trot line for cats, got one that weighed 47 pounds. Mostly we fished for sand bass when they were schooling. Fishing was great until the water went over the spillway and the Corps of Engineers introduced the salt water strippers and the fishing went to pot. All this was back in the early to mid 60's

I fished below the dam before dad bought a boat. One day the guys below us started yelling about a ugly fish. We went down to take a look, it was ugly and everyone was afraid to touch it. It was cut loose and kicked back in the river. Months later I was thumbing thru the dictionary and came across a picture of a sturgeon, that was the fish!

WE fished the lake with a trot line for cats, got one that weighed 47 pounds. Mostly we fished for sand bass when they were schooling. Fishing was great until the water went over the spillway and the Corps of Engineers introduced the salt water strippers and the fishing went to pot. All this was back in the early to mid 60's
Hardly see sandies anymore. They sure good eating. I like catching strippers but not eating them. Just give me some channels. I don't fish much anymore. Wish I could find someone to go with.

We ran a trot line towards the island starting at the bend of the dam. Had 100 hooks and always had fish. Wish I was there to go with you.
I saw the spillway go over twice and you could see whole schools of fish go over headed down river. Lots of stories I can tell about the lake, I really miss it.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
That pic in your avatar is from below the damn, correct?

Yeah it's pretty cool when they open the flood gates. They're currently releasing 28,198 cu/ft per second from Texoma. If my math is correct, that's around 211,000 gals per second. I wouldn't advise a tube trip down the Red River right now :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: dons2346
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky