Porkapalooza 2024 Rd 1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Weather finally cleared so today was the day. My buddies son is graduating so we are doing pulled pork for his party and also for his son's best friends party. 24 butts for those and 3 for me to replenish the freezer with pulled pork. Started out getting the Lang going at 6:30.
1000007260.jpg
Brian rolled in as planned at 7:30 with a whole lotta butts!
1000007278.jpg
Hitting then all with a blend of Redbeard Pork seasoning and Redbeard Honey Chipotle. Crazy good combo. Here is Brian doing work while I stupidvise haha
1000007279.jpg
Me being productive taking a selfie LOL
1000007266.jpg
Into the smoker along with two pans of chicken stock with onions and rub. These will cook under the butts and will makeup our liquid gold for later. Added mor broth once we got the butts and broth situated in the smoker.
1000007281.jpg
Big cooks for butt like this I run hot and fast. Using cherry wood in the Lang 84D Temp average 300F. Things heating up here Here we are a little further in , butts taking on beautiful color. Getting them all wrapped in pans was a bit of a fire drill so no pics. We originally went two butts and a cup of broth to a pan to find out as we loaded most that we didn't have room that way. Had to redo 3 to a pan and then good to go.We wrapped at generally 165 and pulled at 205. For this volume of meat we used the Porkinator 2000
Screenshot_20240518-201852.png
By this time we had additional helpers in another buddy, Brian's wife and son Aiden. Bill pulled the pans from the smoker and pulled the bones. He added two at a time to a metal pot. Brian porkinated them to shredded in literally 10 seconds or so per two butts. They dump them in pans and Meg, Aiden and myself would go through removing any fat or cartilage. We also added a bit of season ng to each pan and mixed in.

1000007269-01.jpeg
After they cooled some we packed it off into 4 lbs vacuum seal bags. My old Food Saver took it in stride. 24 bags ready to hit the freezer. I'll vacuum seal mine in smaller portions tomorrow when I mix the liquid gold in.
1000007271-01.jpeg
Cleanup followed. We started at 7 and these were headed home to their freezer at 6ish. Great day spent cooking and enjoying good company. My neighbor, his wife and kids also hung with us much if the day. It was a great day. Thanks for looking! Oh I called it Rd 1 as something similar will likely happen in July for my neighbors family reunion.

Jeff that is great , what a lot of work and pulled pork, and some tasty treats for the party.

The neighbourhood must have been drooling while that was going on. I know I would have been.

David

That is an awesome way to spend a day. Bet they can't wait for the party to eat some of that!
Man I dont know.....I'd had to save a little to the side for a sammich or two.....You know you got to quality control!
Great looking cook!

Jim

Reactions: bigfurmn
Well at least now I know why there isn't a butt available around here. You've got them all. It all looks good Jeff, Pig out and be happy.

Point for sure
Chris

Hell Yeah!
That's a lot of Pulled Pork, and it all looks delicious!

That is an awesome way to spend a day. Bet they can't wait for the party to eat some of that!

You da Man, Jeff.

Another great feat accomplished. Well done Jeff.

Nice work .

Jeff that is great , what a lot of work and pulled pork, and some tasty treats for the party.

The neighbourhood must have been drooling while that was going on. I know I would have been.

David

Jeff, You be smokin!!!

Man I dont know.....I'd had to save a little to the side for a sammich or two.....You know you got to quality control!
Great looking cook!

Jim

Well at least now I know why there isn't a butt available around here. You've got them all. It all looks good Jeff, Pig out and be happy.

Point for sure
Chris

Holy cow Jeff - that's a lot of pork my friend! Gonna eat good at that graduation party for sure!

Red
Thanks for the kind words guys. His son who is graduating specifically requested my pulled pork for his grad party. Brian scored those butts at $0.99 / lbs which is a rarity anymore. I've got about 12 lbs to mix such us in and vacuum pack which I'll do tomorrow. I believe today will be a day of rest!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Thanks for the kind words guys. His son who is graduating specifically requested my pulled pork for his grad party. Brian scored those butts at $0.99 / lbs which is a rarity anymore. I've got about 12 lbs to mix such us in and vacuum pack which I'll do tomorrow. I believe today will be a day of rest!
When someone specifically asks for you to cook for them on a special day it speaks volumes!

Jim

When someone specifically asks for you to cook for them on a special day it speaks volumes!

Jim
I certainly am honored by it
Great work there Jeff! Pork looks awesome....color is perfect. Bet that smokey stock really gives the pulled pork a boost!
I'm sold on insuring I have a nice smokey au jus to mix back in. We mix both seasoning and au jus in and people rave about it and skip the bbq sauce. So little of the meat actually gets spice and smoke I think it's mandatory.

II'm sold on insuring I have a nice smokey au jus to mix back in. We mix both seasoning and au jus in and people rave about it and skip the bbq sauce. So little of the meat actually gets spice and smoke I think it's mandatory.
Per two butts how much do you add back in?

Jim

Per two butts how much do you add back in?

Jim
Jim I do it by eye and taste. That said I'll be mixing it today so I'll try to pay attention to how much I mix back in the 3 butts I have.
What a great cook AND honor Jeff.
I'm sure some outstanding PP will be enjoyed by many!

Keith
Thanks Keith. I think they will be happy. Many of the graduating and attending students already flipped over it last year at the football banquet.
I thought doing 6 - 8 butts was tough.
Nice job Jeff.
Thanks! When it comes to the wrap it's a ton of work. Shredding isn't bad with the tool and an assembly line haha

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky