Suckling Pig

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
This was my first (and only so far) attempt at a "whole pig"

I wanted to start small to help in the learning process, so I figured I'd do a suckling pig.

Inspiration and Information from Malcom Reed's Video

Cook:
Meat: Suckling Pig 8-10 lbs. Ordered from here
Trim: very slight inside just a couple membrane layers
Brine: Mix of White Vinegar, Sugar, and Salt for 24 Hours
Rub: Pitfaced Spiicy Rub
Cooker: Pitts & Spitts Maverick 1250
Pellets: B&B Pecan Pellets
Style: Open Smoke with ears and snout foiled to protect
Temp: 225°F
Spritz or Spray: Little Pam towards end to help the skin crisp and color
Cook Time: 6-7 Hours
Rest Time: 30 mins

Pics (comment on top):

Delivered Frozen and Fast

full

Into the Brine

full

Rubbed real good with Pitface Spicy

full

Ears and Snout foiled and underway

full

2-3 Hours in and checking on it

full

full

7 Hours in and done

full

full

Plated! Sweet pepper in mouth cause I couldn't find a crab apple lol

full

Skin removal. Was super crispy and delicious!

full

Rack O Ribs haha

full

Final Yield

full

Final Thoughts:

Having nothing to really base it on as this was my first, and only watching videos and seeing pics; I feel really good on how it turned out! The skin was amazingly crisp and delicious. The pork definitely tasted different than full grown. It had a much softer and supple texture to it. Almost milky? If that makes sense. Which I guess it may, since that's all it ever ate. I did like it though.

Price per pound final yield... wowsers... not really worth doing unless you can source one locally and cheaper. I was impatient to look and found the best deal online I could. I do think it was worth the experience and I greatly enjoyed it, so I'm glad I did it. The Rub had really penetrated and flavored the meat nicely, which again, not much there, but it did its job.

I really want to do a larger specimen next time. Probably in the 40-60 lb range. But I'll take pics when the time comes.

Any Feedback and criticism welcomed. Thanks.

It looks really good, however I don't think I could bring myself to one. Just something about seeing it whole makes me feel guilty.

Point for sure.
Chris

Reactions: phantom krankor
It looks really good, however I don't think I could bring myself to one. Just something about seeing it whole makes me feel guilty.

Point for sure.
Chris

Thanks Chris.

I'm with ya on that one a little bit. Being a tiny one was interesting. Wife hid til it was gone. She didn't want to see it. She knew I was doing a pig and when the box showed up she wasn't all too happy :emoji_sweat_smile:. I played nice though and warned her whenever there was a chance of visual.

Reactions: 73saint
Looks good I'm with Chris done whole large pigs not into the little guys. Reminds me of biology class in high school pig in a jar.
In doing full grown pigs 100lb we did belly up which keep juices in the cavity.

Warren
Thanks Warren.
I went back and forth on up vs down. Figured it was brined and small that it'd be fine cavity down. Turned out real juicy still.

And yup. This will most likely be my one and only little one. I'll just make sure I have lots of people on standby for a big one. Shouldn't be too hard I think :emoji_joy:

Looks Great !—-Like.
Years ago, My Son made a 275 gallon Whole pig cooker, and we did a couple Whole Pigs for his company picnics.
Then we figured it wasn’t worth the work, with all the waste, among other things.
So he got a smaller smoker, and does a couple Butts & Brisket & Chuckies.
Great Pork & Beef, without the waste—-And much easier to do!

Bear

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Looks Great !—-Like.
Years ago, My Son made a 275 gallon Whole pig cooker, and we did a couple Whole Pigs for his company picnics.
Then we figured it wasn’t worth the work, with all the waste, among other things.
So he got a smaller smoker, and does a couple Butts & Brisket & Chuckies.
Great Pork & Beef, without the waste—-And much easier to do!

Bear

Thanks Bear! I could see how that would work out like that. I'll experiment every now and then, but I try and stay in the realm of cooking for two with some leftovers.

I am in that boat. We would make terrible Vikings.

Thanks for that share Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan

Cheers!

Thank you. Trying to go through some recent cooks and get em up here to contribute and help do my part to stir some hunger up :emoji_laughing:

Looks great. I have no issue with size. I just don't have enough family or friends anymore to roast a piggy over 40 pounds. I have been researching raising hogs on an acre of mixed grass and wood lot. Seems the small Heritage breeds like, Kunikuni and American Guinea Hog are good bets. They will graze and eat what they find without rooting the land into Barren Moon Scape. A full grown 18 month old, adult will yield a hanging weight in the 100 pound range. Not a lot but 2 with feed a family of 6 some tasty meat for a year. The big benefit is the Piglets. They bring in good money sold live and at 6 months give about a 20-30 pound Roaster that should be perfect for getting the whole hog experience with out the big pig waste or having a
big party. A breading pair can give 15+ Piglets a year so, live Piglets cover costs the 2-3 to grow out fully and half a dozen or so little guys for holidays and special occasions...JJ

I've wanted to smoke a whole pig of any size for so long .......BUT ......my wife would absolutely FREAK! Still, that post is LIKE worthy!

My wife thought ALL meat comes AS IS on pink foam trays wrapped in plastic. Bev was freaked out about the whole hog, head, feet, curly tail, etc being cooked and on display. She and most of the Lady Folk, stayed indoors, sipping Wine, until I announced the meat was ready and bring out the sides. I put the Pulled Meat in roasting pans and threw a Dozen Pink Foam Trays around the Cooker. Bev and her City Girl Friends came out, looked around and stared laughing. My Bev gave me a big Hug and Kiss then thanked me for alleviating her Anxiety and making this cook a great experience...JJ

I am in that boat. We would make terrible Vikings.

Thanks for that share Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan

Cheers!

I hear ya Normonster, I still laugh/gag at the pics of my grandfather with a mouthful of fish or caribou eye's in his mouth when he was fishing in Norway. I guess you gotta keep them from freezing somehow.

Sorry for the highjack Misplaced.

Chris

And this lil'piggy was yummy yummy yummy all the way to my tummy!
Like!
Great cook, Carousel worthy!

Thanks Chile! The rhyme really sells it :emoji_laughing:

Looks great. I have no issue with size. I just don't have enough family or friends anymore to roast a piggy over 40 pounds. I have been researching raising hogs on an acre of mixed grass and wood lot. Seems the small Heritage breeds like, Kunikuni and American Guinea Hog are good bets. They will graze and eat what they find without rooting the land into Barren Moon Scape. A full grown 18 month old, adult will yield a hanging weight in the 100 pound range. Not a lot but 2 with feed a family of 6 some tasty meat for a year. The big benefit is the Piglets. They bring in good money sold live and at 6 months give about a 20-30 pound Roaster that should be perfect for getting the whole hog experience with out the big pig waste or having a
big party. A breading pair can give 15+ Piglets a year so, live Piglets cover costs the 2-3 to grow out fully and half a dozen or so little guys for holidays and special occasions...JJ

Thanks Chef.
All valid points. Completely agree on not needing a giant one. Sounds like you got a good plan in place to make it happen. And got me scheming now...

I've wanted to smoke a whole pig of any size for so long .......BUT ......my wife would absolutely FREAK! Still, that post is LIKE worthy!

Thanks NB. Yeah... Wife was less than thrilled. Especially cause she was locked in the room while I took a thousand final pics :emoji_laughing:

Screenshot_20190404-154856.png

I hear ya Normonster, I still laugh/gag at the pics of my grandfather with a mouthful of fish or caribou eye's in his mouth when he was fishing in Norway. I guess you gotta keep them from freezing somehow.

Sorry for the highjack Misplaced.

Chris

All good Chris. I'm known to sidetrack and BS a little :emoji_wink:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky