Sourdough Starter.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If anyone wants some dehydrated starter just send me a message....Its just a stamp or two.
Can you explain this sourdough start thing a bit. My understanding is you pinch a piece from your last batch of sourdough & then make a new batch using the piece you pinched off of the last batch, to start a new batch.

Lmao am I anywhere close?🤣😂🤣

Thanks.

Reactions: sumosmoke
Lmao I've never made any type of bread. But want to learn how. Somebody on here has a recipe for pizza dough & calzone dough I figure I would try 1st. Lmao I'm a newbie newbie when it comes to bread of any type.

Can you explain this sourdough start thing a bit. My understanding is you pinch a piece from your last batch of sourdough & then make a new batch using the piece you pinched off of the last batch, to start a new batch.

Thanks.
You can take some of the starter and spread it out thin on parchment paper to dry.
I put it in oven with just lightbulb on.
Then I grind it in a coffee grinder, vacuum seal it, and into freezer.
Have a bunch of 10g bags in the freezer.

Reactions: DieselTech

Thanks.
You prob could do that way I guess. In the sausage making world thats called backslopping.

The Big Foot starter I got from Rick is really taking off. Hopefully in a week or so I'll be making bread!
This was " Nessie " . I feed at night , then into the fridge .
I put it on the counter this morning at 6:30 am .
9:30 now . Took about 3 hours , but it was cold from the fridge .
20240504_093503.jpg

This was " Nessie " . I feed at night , then into the fridge .
I put it on the counter this morning at 6:30 am .
9:30 now . Took about 3 hours , but it was cold from the fridge .
View attachment 696069
I’m not getting that rise out of it. I do a 30-30-30 feed. And I keep it on the kitchen counter. Warm/dark corner. Feed every evening. What am I doing wrong? I do get a rise…but nothing like that.

Jim

I do a 30-30-30 feed.
Is that 1:1:1 with 30 grams ?
Rick would be the one to ask for a better answer , but when mine got to that point he suggested I feed 1:2:2 . I did that and let it go 2 days . Got a little better action , so I discarded and when I went to feed I was out of KA bread flour , so I used some Gold medal bread mixed with KA whole wheat at 1:1:1 . It took off . So mine either liked the change for some reason , or just likes the Gold medal better .
Keep at it , it will come around .
When I first got mine , I was discarding into other jars and feeding it all . I was up to 7 jars at one time . I had 2 that were stronger than the rest , so I kept those 2 and got rid of the others .
That's what I'm working out of now . I just use that jar in the picture above when I want to bake . The other 2 get fed and back in the fridge . I feed those once a week or so . 10 days , 2 weeks ,, whatever .

I made my own sour dough starter from scratch. It took a few weeks before it had that great sour dough smell to it. Working with starters is nothing new to me as I have a sweet bread starter that I have used for over 20 years. Using the right flour to get it going I think is the key. The one I have going now is so powerful that even in the fridge it wants to blow the lid off the container.
I'm not a big fan of lots of bread but I do use it a lot in pizza dough. Makes a wonderful pizza dough. with lots of air pockets.

OK... Rick (or anybody else)... can you expand on this a little more ? Feed 1:2:2 ... Is that somekind of ratio ?? Trying to catch on ... And you know some of us are SLOWWW...
For my sour dough starter I use the 5 gram method.
50 grams of starter
50 grams of flour
50 grams of pure water

Works for me.

Last edited:
OK... Got it ... Now it's this ratio (1:2:2) every time you feed it ? Or this is just to kick start and then you drop back to a 1:1:1 feed ratio ??

I need a "Sourdough Book For Dummies"... You know.. the yellow one...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky