Amish Sourdough

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
This is one of two.
Will post recipe soon.

amishsd.JPG

amishsd2.JPG

Amish sourdough recipe. 2 boules.

200 grams Sourdough Starter Active and bubbly
650 grams Filtered Water
700 grams Bread Flour milled hard whits
300 grams Freshly Milled Hard Red Wheat (or whole wheat flour)
20 grams Fine Sea Salt

If you use store bought flour you may have to reduce the water to 600g. You can always add more if needed while mixing.

Mix sourdough starter and warm water in a large bowl.

Add flour and salt. Knead with a spoon or hands until the dough becomes shaggy.

Let rest for 45 minutes in a warm spot.

Every 45 mins do a stretch and fold 3-6 times.

Let rise on counter until doubled in size.

Gently remove from the bowl onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into two loaves. Shape and place it on the counter for 30 mins.

Place upside down in a floured banneton basket, cover with a plastic bag and place in the fridge for 12-14 hours.

Preheat Oven to 500 with dutch oven inside for one hour.

Remove the loaf from the fridge and place it on parchment paper. Dust top with flour and score loaf and place in a hot dutch oven with parchment paper. Spritz water one the dough create steam. Place lid on top and bake at 500 for 30 mins. Remove lid and lower temp to 450 and bake for an additional 25 mins. Allow to cool before cutting.

amishsd6.JPG

Great looking loaf!
Got a question...I have a CI DO.....When I start baking...Does it make a difference if I cook with it in the normal position or can I flip it and use the lid as the base and remove the pot part of it when its time?

Jim

Great looking loaf!
Got a question...I have a CI DO.....When I start baking...Does it make a difference if I cook with it in the normal position or can I flip it and use the lid as the base and remove the pot part of it when its time?

Jim
Jim

You have the combo cooker? Like a CI fry pan with the DO on bottom and yes if the lid pan dont have the pointy thing or grate style then yes invert so the smaller is the bottom.

Thanks

Nice crusty looking loaves.

Many people dont know that sourdough bread is easier to digest than regular white breads. People with mild gluten gut issues can tolerate it better.

Reactions: JLeonard
I just took these out to cool.

Same recipe.

Same recipe just two diff flours.
Left KA Bread
Right Bobs Red Mill Artisan.

IMG_8679.JPG

Reactions: 02ebz06
Love the shape of the loaf on the left in the first post . You can see the use of grinding your own in the slices . I bet that taste is really good .

Same recipe just two diff flours.
Left KA Bread
Right Bobs Red Mill Artisan.
Verdict is out for me with the Bob's red mill . KA bread flour is missing in action around here .
Been using Gold medal bread flour . My starter likes it , and the formula I'm using , it's the only one that likes the higher hydration .

Nice bread Rick, way to many irons in the fire for me to even consider making bread but I do see my starter is trying to bust out of its container in the fridge. Might be time to let it loose for a good run.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky