Smoking Again

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
I haven’t disappeared, I just messed up my back picking up our very cute granddaughter. I couldn’t move propane tanks around and it got too darned hot anyway. It is cooler now and company is coming to dinner tonight! It is so nice to cook again!

IMG_2207.jpeg

The first step is bourbon BBQ sauce and jerky marinade. I made this earlier in the week to let the sauce meld and give the jerky a couple of days to marinate. I love BBQ sauce!

IMG_2234.jpeg

This is about four pounds of eye of the round. We leave in a week for a month long sailing trip in the Puget Sound so I wanted some snacks while at the helm.

IMG_1568.jpeg

It came out great! Adding one more day in the marinade made the difference. It has just the right amount ok kick. I think I have this recipe dialed in.

IMG_2238.jpeg

The ribs are rubbed up and on their way to the smoker. These are baby backs, but they have enough meat to be St. Louis racks. Love our meat market!

IMG_2239.jpeg

Two racks at 250 and a pan full of bourbon baked beans to catch the drippings. I smoked a ham a week ago and cubed some up for the beans.

IMG_2176.jpeg

Now the best part; a glass of Woodford’s, some jerky, and putting my feet up to rest a bit. My Frankenstein smoker is putzing along and I have no worries for a bit!

IMG_2241.jpeg

Everything came out great, not much was left. I ran the ribs uncovered the entire smoke and pulled at 195. They were bending easy. For some reason these don’t pull back on the bone much. They were done with a bit of chew on the bone, just what I was shooting for.

IMG_1569.jpeg

Beautiful looking meal for sure!
Glad you're back at it!

Ryan

Great looking spread. And family together to eat it.
Now tell us more about this sailing for a month.

Jim

IMG_0932.jpeg

We enjoy heading out after Labor Day. Most people park their boats so everything is much quieter. This trip we will stay in the south and central Puget Sound. There are lots of islands to anchor off and explore and small towns to visit. We tow an inflatable dingy that we use to explore with. The boat is 35 feet, one that I rebuilt as a (major) project.

Oh man that is a sweet looking boat. Thats one think I've always wanted to try is sailing. Sounds like your gonna have a good time.

Jim

Looks and sounds powerfully good to me, and take care of that back.

Point for sure
Chris

The whole meal and snacks look and sound great.

And a month of boating and exploring, fantastic.

The ribs ham and beans sound like a perfect meal, and snacks for the trip

Great smoking

David

Ah the good life
I had a Catalina blow boat when I lived out there. Now to drop the traps and fresh Dungenes
There is nothing finer than fresh caught Dungeness! I bet you miss sailing here. Remember this mountain? FYI, we have ten active and dormant volcanoes within 300 miles!

IMG_1578.jpeg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky