Salt/Sodium in Homemade Rubs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pi guy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
SE Michigan
Hey everyone, looking for some direction. Doc recently told me (although I already knew it, but put it off for too many years unfortunately) that I have extremely high blood pressure. Got on the meds and I'm hoping that helps me; just started last week.
I love to smoke and try new stuff as some may know, so I don't want to miss out on one of my favorite hobbies due to high salt/sodium content.
Can anyone recommend some good recipes for homemade rubs (and sauces too!) that are low sodium? Or am I just screwed?
Thanks as always!

Sodium isn't always a factor with high BP. That said, I'm on meds for mine and haven't changed my sodium intake any, but I mostly don't use a lot of salt in my rubs anyhow ...... I don't care for a lot of salt and rarely salt anything on my plate. Potatoes of any sort need some salt, but that is about all.

Don't give up on flavor to soon.
Been on BP meds for several years. Blood work every 3 months. For the last 3 checks my sodium levels have actually been low.

Reactions: mr_whipple
You aren't screwed. I've been low sodium thanks to my wife for nearly 20 years.
The other thing to limit is your sugars.
In Sauces substitute coconut aminos for soy sauce. Watch the labels as many have more sodium than soy. The only brand I trust is Coconut Secret. Also no sugar ketchup has less salt.
Take any rub recipe and drop the salt to equal proportions with the other ingredients.
I make a pork rub with salt, garlic powder (not garlic salt), onion powder (not onion salt), oregano, celery (not celery salt), cumin, paprika, etc. I do use MSG to help amp flavors. I keep it around 1/2 proportion or less.

I make sausage with 1/2% salt for my wife. I splurge and go 1% on my breakfast brats that wife does not like.

What DougE DougE said. I've been on lisinopril for years and doc has never mentioned salt as a contributing factor. That said, I've just never been a salt person anyway. I don't avoid it, but you'll never see me adding salt to anything. I read labels and avoid high sodium foods and also watch the calories and cholesterol. Dropping 30 lbs certainly didn't hurt my BP either.

As for rubs etc, I keep Cavender's salt free around at all times.

Sodium isn't always a factor with high BP. That said, I'm on meds for mine and haven't changed my sodium intake any, but I mostly don't use a lot of salt in my rubs anyhow
Me, too. I was never a big salt user and stuff really tastes salty to me that most wouldn't think so.

pi, as DougE DougE said, salt may not be a contributing factor, did your doctor say that? But if you want to lower your salt intake, then the first easy step is to just reduce it in your rubs and sauces by 25%. Do that for awhile and then reduce another 25% and so forth...

I recently posted a what i believe is a low sodium coffee rub came out pretty good, in my opinion.

Me, too. I was never a big salt user and stuff really tastes salty to me that most wouldn't think so.

pi, as DougE DougE said, salt may not be a contributing factor, did your doctor say that? But if you want to lower your salt intake, then the first easy step is to just reduce it in your rubs and sauces by 25%. Do that for awhile and then reduce another 25% and so forth...
i have high blood pressure too, on meds salt for me does not seem to be the problem. it is easy enough to check. take your blood pressure, have something salty and check it again.

Have high BP but am allergic to BP meds, it’s a real trial. Plus, I’ve had 5 ankle surgeries (a misspent youth playing soccer) so my exercise options are limited. Enough of my wingeing, sorry.
Believe it or not a good salt alternative is black pepper. Over the years I’ve replaced salt with black pepper on just about everything and don’t miss it (ok, except tomatoes, cobb corn and popcorn). Only downside is we can’t visit many restaurants as I’ve become hypersensitive to salt!

I mix all my own rubs (without salt) which allows me to control salt levels separately and more accurately and also to season for others. I still brine but rinse surface salt thoroughly. I don’t miss all those preservatives and other stuff either.

My All-Purpose is 16mesh BP (about 4 parts), granulated garlic (1 part), granulated onion (1 part), smoked paprika (1 part), cumin (1 part), celery seed (1/2 part) and cayenne (1/4 part). Then I’ll add for whatever I’m going for. Ex: espresso/chocolate, rosemary, nutmeg for steaks; sage, thyme for poultry; Old Bay, Lemon Pepper, coriander for fish, etc. I have similar Taco, Chili and Heat blends for spicy/mexican.

Hopefully, my AP will give you a starting point. Experiment!

ps - Personally, I’m not eliminating salt; just going for low salt.

Last edited:
Several thoughts here..Ive been on BP meds since I was 18.

1. See how well the meds are working. If your BP is real good, there is less to worry about.

2. Jeffs Rub has very little salt and is great. Buy it.

3. I dont really change my sodium intake, my meds keep it normal. But I am not a huge salt person. If you tend to salt everything a fair amount, cut that back Or out.

4. I do look at sodium content on rubs mostly because I dont like overly salty rubs. I like a lot of flavor, just not a salt lick.

Oh, and one more trick: unsalted butter. Gives you control of how much salt (or none) added. Kerrigold makes a good one. Use it in all my sauces.

I sodium causing high blood pressure is questionable at best. That said I think you can cut the salt in half at least on any rub and be ok. I'd recommend adding MSG to the mix too. It can replace some of the Umami salt brings

Reactions: zwiller
Have high BP but am allergic to BP meds, it’s a real trial. Plus, I’ve had 5 ankle surgeries (a misspent youth playing soccer) so my exercise options are limited. Enough of my wingeing, sorry.
Believe it or not a good salt alternative is black pepper. Over the years I’ve replaced salt with black pepper on just about everything and don’t miss it (ok, except tomatoes, cobb corn and popcorn). Only downside is we can’t visit many restaurants as I’ve become hypersensitive to salt!

I mix all my own rubs (without salt) which allows me to control salt levels separately and more accurately and also to season for others. I still brine but rinse surface salt thoroughly. I don’t miss all those preservatives and other stuff either.

My All-Purpose is 16mesh BP (about 4 parts), granulated garlic (1 part), granulated onion (1 part), smoked paprika (1 part), cumin (1 part), celery seed (1/2 part) and cayenne (1/4 part). Then I’ll add for whatever I’m going for. Ex: espresso/chocolate, rosemary, nutmeg for steaks; sage, thyme for poultry; Old Bay, Lemon Pepper, coriander for fish, etc. I have similar Taco, Chili and Heat blends for spicy/mexican.

Hopefully, my AP will give you a starting point. Experiment!

ps - Personally, I’m not eliminating salt; just going for low salt.
I have heard and used a couple times that lemon juice is also a good substitute for salt as well.

Several thoughts here..Ive been on BP meds since I was 18.

1. See how well the meds are working. If your BP is real good, there is less to worry about.

2. Jeffs Rub has very little salt and is great. Buy it.

3. I dont really change my sodium intake, my meds keep it normal. But I am not a huge salt person. If you tend to salt everything a fair amount, cut that back Or out.

4. I do look at sodium content on rubs mostly because I dont like overly salty rubs. I like a lot of flavor, just not a salt lick.
Pretty much what David said. Jeff's original rub is low salt and is a good option for those of us who just don't like a lot of salt on our food.

My doc never mentioned cutting salt and I don't use much on my food, however, I do like me some salty snacks like tater chips lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky