Help balance the flavor in most famous KC style rubs - valuable info

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TheSmoke

Original poster
Jan 25, 2024
Hi guys,

I'm trying to make something similar to Joe's KC meat and fries rubs. I did a search on KC-style rubs and found the founder of Joe's saying it's derived from Memphis book writer that any rub should have 2 parts of salt and sugar, one part each of dehydrated garlic, dehydrated onion, chili powder, and paprika. And blending pepper of black pepper, cayenne pepper, and white pepper. The quantity of the peppers is a quarter of a part of each one of the peppers. He also advised adding powdered citrus like lemon peel to the brisket rub, and brown sugar with cumin or sage to the pork rub, saying: white sugar and lemon pepper taste better with the brisket, while brown sugar and cumin enhance the pork better.

That's a great starting point here!

However, if we look at the meat rub label, it has additional ingredients:
  • Hickory Smoke flavor
  • Yeast Extract
  • Corn Starch
  • Onion Powder
  • Corn Starch
  • Beef stock
  • Celery Seed
  • Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate (As MSG)
  • Citric Acid
  • Silicon Dioxide (anti-caking)
I made the rub without hickory smoke, and I used garlic powder and onion powder (instead of dehydrated garlic and onion along with the onion powder as on the label). Also added yellow mustard. The flavor is good, but something still overwhelms the overall taste. Maybe I need to add the missing ingredients, then adjust the beef stock. Forgot to mention I also added yellow mustard.

1. Do you think dehydrated garlic and onion instead of powder changes the taste?
2. Do you think the missing smoke flavor changes the taste?
3. Do you think Hungarian sweet paprika instead of standard sweet paprika is a major player in the rub?

I'm thinking of adding the missing, removing the yellow mustard and reducing the dehydrated beef fat?

Any recommendation will be helpful on the BBQ rub.

The second thing is I used this original rub for the fries seasoning in which brown sugar is there on the product label compared to the meat rub and has a dominant salty flavor with some nice herb, so I used the same recipe to the fries rub and added parsley based on the taste of original fries rub to test. It's quite close to Joe's fry seasoning, but I noticed some bitterness after I reduced the sugar a bit; it appears in the middle of the taste and (aftertaste). So, do I need to adjust the parsley or celery seed?

Again, same as above:

1. Do you think dehydrated garlic and onion instead of powders will improve the bitterness taste of the fries seasoning?
2. Do you think the missing smoke flavor will improve the bitterness taste?
3. Do you think Hungarian sweet paprika instead of standard sweet paprika will improve the bitterness taste?
4. Do you think adding cumin or sage in fries seasoning will help get closer since it's said previously that brown sugar, cumin or sage aligns well in the pork rub or it's not necessarily? While this is fries seasoning the combination is still helpful regardless of the the best use (pork rub).

Any recommendation will be helpful on the fries rub.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky