Safe bacon temperature question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grillsmoker

Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
I am going to do some Canadian bacon and pork belly using Bear's recipes and curing. Was wondering why the pork belly recipe has a lower recommended finish temperature than the pork loin? I was going to smoke together but may not be possible due to the suggested higher temps for loin. Comments?

I am going to do some Canadian bacon and pork belly using Bear's recipes and curing. Was wondering why the pork belly recipe has a lower recommended finish temperature than the pork loin? I was going to smoke together but may not be possible due to the suggested higher temps for loin. Comments?

It has the same "finish safe" Temp of 145°.
The difference is I Smoke my CB & BBB to 145°, so I can eat it without Frying it.
The Belly Bacon I don't smoke to 145°, but I Fry it before eating it.

Bear

It has the same "finish safe" Temp of 145°.
The difference is I Smoke my CB & BBB to 145°, so I can eat it without Frying it.
The Belly Bacon I don't smoke to 145°, but I Fry it before eating it.

Bear
Thanks Bear for your quick response. If I am going to fry my Canadiaqn bacon prior to eating can I get away with a lower temperature. I am using your double smoked bacon recipe for the pork belly.

Thanks Bear for your quick response. If I am going to fry my Canadiaqn bacon prior to eating can I get away with a lower temperature. I am using your double smoked bacon recipe for the pork belly.

Sure, You can stop smoking any time you want, as long as you Fry it, Broil it, or whatever to 145° before you eat it.

But why are you using my "Belly Bacon" Step by Step to make CB?
Here's a CB Step by Step:
*New------Canadian Bacon

Bear

Sure, You can stop smoking any time you want, as long as you Fry it, Broil it, or whatever to 145° before you eat it.

But why are you using my "Belly Bacon" Step by Step to make CB?
Here's a CB Step by Step:
*New------Canadian Bacon

Bear
Sorry for the confusion! I am using your "new" Canadian bacon recipe for the loin and extra smoky recipe for the pork belly. Just happen to have a piece of both curing for the past 10 days so thought I would smoke together. Thanks for posting all of your great recipes- I hope to try many more.

OK--Got it.

You can Smoke them both until you get the color you want.
I like about 10 hours, when using Smoker Temps between 100° and 130°.
Then don't worry about the Internal Temp, but if it's below 145° you'll have to Fry it before eating it.

Or You can Pull the Belly Bacon out when it has the color you want, but leave the CB in until it gets to 145° IT.

Or you can do them separately, and use my higher Smoker Temp for the CB, to get it to 145°.

Hope this helps.

Bear

THANKS. They will be in the MES tomorrow after a day in the fridge for pellicle.

Sorry for the confusion! I am using your "new" Canadian bacon recipe for the loin and extra smoky recipe for the pork belly. Just happen to have a piece of both curing for the past 10 days so thought I would smoke together. Thanks for posting all of your great recipes- I hope to try many more.

Great!!
2 of my Favorite are "Dried Beef" and "Bacon-on-a-Stick".
Try them if you can.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky