Ribs, if I don't use "the Texas Crutch"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

simoon

Original poster
Aug 13, 2014
I've only done ribs a few times, always using the 3-2-1 method, Always with great results! Great smoke, juicy, fall off the bone tender.

But I am in the mood to try without wrapping, to get more of a tender chew, than fall off the bone meat.

My questions are:
1. Is the smoke/cook time usually about the same, i.e. 6 hours?
2. Should I still only apply smoke just for the 1st 3 hours?
3. What about wrapping for a shorter period of time?

Any other hints would be appreciated.

Thanks!

My method is to cook unwrapped at 275F for about 3 1/2 hours (maybe a bit less for BB, and a bit more for spares), putting some glaze on for the last 30 minutes. I smoke the whole time in my pellet cooker or charcoal smoker. Cook till they pass the bend test. I don't care for FOTB ribs.

Cook time, per se, has nothing to do. Cook to internal temp...... period...... about 195* will give you a soft bite. 200* ish up to 210* will fall off bone. Just cook to IT temp. Time means nothing.

I've only done ribs a few times, always using the 3-2-1 method, Always with great results! Great smoke, juicy, fall off the bone tender.

But I am in the mood to try without wrapping, to get more of a tender chew, than fall off the bone meat.

My questions are:
1. Is the smoke/cook time usually about the same, i.e. 6 hours?
2. Should I still only apply smoke just for the 1st 3 hours?
3. What about wrapping for a shorter period of time?

Any other hints would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi there and welcome!

I too vote for SmokinAl's method. As mentioned u place a temp probe well and go to 195F Internal Temp (IT) to get bite off the bone texture. I personally take it to 198-200F for walking up to the territory where fall of the bone texture will be getting ready to start.

1. The cook time is roughly the same about 5-6 hours depending on the temp you pick. If you smoke at 275F (ribs dont care what temp u pick) then you should hit that time frame or maybe maybe a touch faster.

2. If you like your smoke level then just apply smoke for the same amount of time you do during your 3-2-1 method. I run an MES + the AMNPS with a mailbox mod and I run smoke the hole time but I don't run 100% Hickory I run about 60% hickory then 15% maple and 15% cherry BUT the AMNPS puts out perfect smoke so there is no over smoking it due to the perfect smoke. Your setup may be produce stronger/different smoke, etc. so go according to what you know.

3. You could wrap for a shorter period of time but I would honestly recommend you just smoke at 275F smoker temp and let it go and it will finish in a similar time period AND it will be WAY more flavorful. Anything smoked unwrapped the entire time is always more flavorful than when something is wrapped for half or more of its cooking time.

I hope this info helps :)

Thanks for all the helpful info!

I think I will give Smokin Al's method a go.

I wasn't trying to say I was going to cook only using time, I just wanted to know if I should plan on about the same amount of time, but using temp as my gauge.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky