Rec Teq or Camp Chef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks DougE, anything you don’t care for with the CC?
No, It does what it's supposed to do. I did a ton of research before choosing it. The fact that it can go as low as 160* and that I can adjust temp in 5 degree increments is why I chose it. That, and I got a good deal buying through Lowes.

Like DougE, I went with Camp Chef 24SG. I liked the pellet hopper and fire pot clean outs along with the two meat temp probes. It also fit my budget better. Everyone talks about RecTeq customer service but Camp Chef has good customer service too. The ability to add on accessories is a plus too.

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
I have a recteq. It works well no issues. I think either brand will do just fine.

You may want to look into the Masterbuilt gravity smoker.
I've been cooking on a treagor and CC for about 7-8 years now and never could get enough smoke flavor on anything.
So, after Christmas I bought the Masterbuilt and I'm 100% satisfied I made the right choice.

You may want to look into the Masterbuilt gravity smoker.
I've been cooking on a treagor and CC for about 7-8 years now and never could get enough smoke flavor on anything.
So, after Christmas I bought the Masterbuilt and I'm 100% satisfied I made the right choice.
The OP asked about pellet grills. But yes it seems pellet grills without using a smoke tube won't produce the same smoke quality of other smokers.

I'm in the same boat as you...looking lol! Kinda had it narrowed down to rec tec, camp chef, or green mountain...then I read a post on here somewhere that there's a place in Beatrice NE, that sells 100% made in USA pellet grills...called Blaz'n Grill Works. So looking into them, only 4 or 5 hours from me. Look forward to what you choose!

Ryan

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
The OP asked about pellet grills. But yes it seems pellet grills without using a smoke tube won't produce the same smoke quality of other smokers.
I was just throwing out another option since I had experience with both, and yes I can read.

I was just throwing out another option since I had experience with both, and yes I can read.
I appreciate all the replies…although you’ve made my decision more difficult at least I’m exploring all my options. One of the reasons I want to upgrade is due to not having the amount of smoke I’m looking for. I’m hoping a pellet grill will do a better job. I do have a smoke tube if needed. I like the flexibility of the pellet grill sitting next to my gas grill…but at the same time want the flavors a true smoker will deliver. I know, you can’t have it all…or if you do…spend the money and move on.

but at the same time want the flavors a true smoker will deliver. I know, you can’t have it all
If you want the best of the best, a stick burner is where it's at, but you suffer in the area of convenience. You can produce respectable Q on a pellet grill, although not quite as good. It's a decent compromise to me.

I was in the same boat as you before I got my RT about 2.5 years ago. At the time, in my price range, the RT was the only one with Wi-Fi and had just as good of reviews or better then and CC and GMG. Call me lazy, but for me the Wi-Fi was a matter of convenience and I really like it. I will say that the Pit temp has more fluctuations than the display will show, when I have some additional probes in the pit, but my understanding of pellet burners is they all tend to be that way. It's just that the RT 's aren't as much as others.

You've narrowed it down to some good selections, so any you look at it you should be happy with what you decide on. Plus if you are wanting more smoke, a smoke tube is always a good cheap option.

I’ve made my decision. I went with the SG24 Camp Chef. As much as I would have liked to gone with the Rec Teq I’m a weekend warrior at best when it comes to Q. I thought some of the features that Camp Chef had may fit my experience a little better.
I want to thank all of you for helping me make a decision. i Look forward to sharing my experiences good or bad along the way…see y’all when the smoke clears.

I LOVE my RT 1250! I also LOVE my GMG....don't have a camp chef pellet but LOVE my 2 CF stoves. Its a choice you have to make!

edit since you posted while I was typing.....

Congrats! Its always fun to get new cooking equipment! Camp Chef is a good company and they make good stuff!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky