Question about Easter chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

The Butt Man

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 18, 2018
South Alabama
I am supposed to smoke some chicken breast and leg quarters to take to our family's Easter dinner this weekend. In order to have them ready before we leave for Easter service that morning, I need to take them off the smoker by 9:30. Lunch will not be served until 12:30. Will they by okay if I wrap them in foil and place in an ice chest for that 3 hours?
Someone mentioned to me about putting a towel in with it and pour boiling water on the towel.
Does anyone here have any thoughts or suggestions on this?
Thanks.

I think your chicken is going to be cold you don’t say how your serving it bbq sauce etc better of placing in crockpot or roaster pan on low maybe adding chicken stock to keep it moist. The reason a cooler works for butts,brisket is thermal mass and the fact it’s cooked to 190f to 205f were you chicken is 165f. I have not tried the cooler method on chicken but if you do check your temps to make sure you stay in the safe zone above 140f good luck.

I think you looking at a soggy unappetizing chicken dinner if you pour boiling water on it and let it sit for 3hrs. Why not smoke it at 250* and crisp up the skin on a grill or broiler after service. It should only take an hour and a half.

Chris

Thank ya'll for the advice. That's all pretty much what I was thinking as well. Think I will just arrange for it to be ready by lunch time instead of trying to jump the gun and have ready before leaving for church. That will be the best thing.
Thanks again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky