Que Vide Que Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

troutman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Houston, Texas
Actually this is about a method I've been working on for about 6 months, and thus 6 briskets in a row. I love making my own corned beef and pastrami and generally do it to a smaller brisket that I let wet age for about 30 days, thus one a month.

At first I did the classic total smoke method of pastrami but tried the sous vide method and was immediately hooked. No more dried out flats and tenderness beyond belief. My current and most successful method involves corning the beef for about 7-8 days, a rinsing with multiple water changes for 24 hours, a pre-smoking of the meat to get to about 115-120* internal, a sous vide bath at 135* for 72 hours, a 30 minute ice bath then a final smoke to get the internal back up to about 130-132*. As you can see the brisket never gets above 135*. I refer to the method as QVQ Pastrami !!

It's a long process, about 2 weeks, but it produces a pastrami that rivals even Katz's in my opinion. In fact with a little rye, some sour kraut, cheese and some thousand island, I doubt I'll go to Katz's ever again :)

Here is the piece of brisket after the sous vide bath and ice chill down, ready for seasoning and final smoking....

pastrami02 5-18.jpg

.....and after the final smoke and rest, sliced for sandwiches.....

pastrami 5-18.jpg

....cuz nothing beats a good pastrami sandwich for lunch !!!!

Pastrami Sand 3-27-18.jpg

TROUTMAN STEVE IS OUTTA HERE !!!

Oh my! That looks awesome. It’s been awhile since I SV’ed pastrami.

How long does it take to get the IT up in the smoker after the ice bath?

Oh my! That looks awesome. It’s been awhile since I SV’ed pastrami.

How long does it take to get the IT up in the smoker after the ice bath?

Not very long at all. When cold it's like 35-40* internal and shoots up to 130ish in about an hour. I usually smoke at about 250*.

That is a beauty for sure!
I smoke & SV my pastrami too, but at different times & temps.
I may have to give your method a try!
Al

That looks fabulous Troutman. I wish I was a member of the SV club.

Point for sure.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky