Pulled Cured Shoulder Ham. (7 Pounds)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Pulled Cured Shoulder Ham. (7 Pounds)

It’s been a long time since I made some of this—Too Long, Actually!
The last time I made some, I used a Butt, and I split it in half, so I had two pieces about 2” Thick.
Then I turned the Fatty top half into BBB, and the Leaner bottom half into Pulled Butt Ham.
Here’s that one I did back then:

Buckboard Bacon and Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham

So I wanted to make this one ALL Pulled Ham, but since it was about 4” Thick, and I didn’t want to cut it in half, and I didn’t want to inject it, I decided to just Dry cure it regular with TQ.
I didn’t care if it didn’t get cured all the way to the center, because I planned on Hot Smoking it anyway, just like I would if it was uncured, and I was just making Pulled Pork. As it ended up, judging by the color, very little if any remained uncured after 15 days in cure.

Here We Go (Day #1):
Removed Skin from a 7.75 LB Shoulder, reducing it to a 7 LB hunk of Meat, about 4” Thick.
Applied 3.5 ounces of Tender Quick to all surfaces, and about 6 TBS of Brown Sugar on same.
Put in a 2 1/2 gallon ZipLock, along with all the TQ & BS that had fallen off during the rubbing.
Squeezing most of the air out, closed the bag, laid it on a Dinner Plate & put it in my Fridge & 37°.
Then I Flipped the bag over every day, and squeezed it downward on the plate, with the Zipper end on top.

Day #15 (Prep for Smoking):
Remove Meat & 1/2 cup of Juice from ZipLock, Rinse, and put meat in big bowl of cold water for 2 hours.
Rinse Meat again, this time with warm water, Dry very good with Paper Towels, and put on Wire Cooling Rack, in a Foil Pan. Sprinkle “POG” on Meat, and put in Fridge uncovered overnight.

Day #16 (Time to Smoke the Meat):
7:45————Preheat MES 40 to 240°, and fill AMNPS with Hickory Pellets & Light One End.
8:15————Put Pan of Meat on Rack #2 of a 6 rack MES 40.
9:00————Put AMNPS on Right End of Bottom Rack, and pull Dumper out 3”, and rotate Dumper 180°.
10:30———-Sterilize & insert Temp Probe at 110° IT. Bump Heat up to 260°.
11:00———-120° IT.
Got interrupted, so I couldn’t continue to track Temps from here.
However all it takes from here to finish is to continue to Smoke this Hunk of Cured Meat, just as if you were just Smoking a regular uncured Pork Butt for Pulled Pork, until it gets to about 203°-206° IT.
Then let it rest however you usually do. I like to just leave mine in my MES for at least an hour & cut the heat down to about 150°. The Meat thinks it’s in a cooler, packed with towels. Meat is usually not too bright.
It should then pull easily, like mine usually do.

For my Sammies, the first one was on a Roll with some of Mrs Bear’s mild BBQ sauce, but I added some “Frank’s Hot Sauce” too.

Then the next Morning I took some Pulled Ham & put it in a Frying Pan with some butter. I flipped it around a little to get it hot, and then I poured 3 “Stirred” Eggs over the meat. Then I flipped that around until it all formed up real good. I plated it & hit it with a bunch of Black Pepper.

My second night’s Sammy was with some Horseradish Sauce.

I didn’t have any sides, because my weight climbed up to 236, from 230, over the last couple weeks.
I gotta try to get back down to under 230°.
Then to my Fighting weight of 30 years ago—> 210.

NOTE: I have to say this Shoulder was very Tough & Chewy—Nothing like the Boston Butt I used to make the one I split into BBB & Butt Ham, back in 2013. Very Tasty though, but next time I’ll probably pay more, and it will be a Boston Butt.

Thanks for Dropping by,

Bear

Soaking for 2 hours because I cured it for 15 days.
1/2 Cup of juices left in bag after curing.
IMG_3463.jpg

Patted Dry with paper towels after Curing & soaking:
IMG_3466.jpg

Coated with CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder, and in the Fridge overnight (Uncovered):
IMG_3468.jpg

Put in 240° for first 45 minutes, without Smoke:
IMG_3469.jpg

Fresh out of Smoker:
IMG_3476.jpg

Ready for Pulling:
IMG_3477.jpg

Pulled, Cured, Shoulder Ham:
IMG_3478.jpg

Bones Removed:
IMG_3480.jpg

First Sammy with Mrs Bear's BBQ Sauce & Frank's Hot Sauce:
IMG_3481.jpg

Pulled Ham warming in Pan with Butter:
IMG_3482.jpg

3 Eggs poured over Ham:
IMG_3483.jpg

Stirring Mixture:
IMG_3484.jpg

One Plate of "Pulled Ham Scramble", for The Bear:
IMG_3485.jpg

Second Night's Sammy with Horseradish Sauce:
IMG_3486.jpg

OH YEAH !!!
IMG_3487.jpg

Plumb Purdy, Really looks good sometimes you just get a tough one, I'm betting that's what happened.
It has been a while since I did a cured smoked Shoulder but it was good and tender.

I "LIKE" it

Gary

That looks great . This was one of the first things I cured using your steps . I agree a butt works better , but that picnic has great flavor . I like the stirred eggs .

Plumb Purdy, Really looks good sometimes you just get a tough one, I'm betting that's what happened.
It has been a while since I did a cured smoked Shoulder but it was good and tender.

I "LIKE" it

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

That looks great . This was one of the first things I cured using your steps . I agree a butt works better , but that picnic has great flavor . I like the stirred eggs .

Thank You Rich!!
Yeah, I don't know why but I like the Eggs better streaky than completely blended into a yellow scramble.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
looks delicious, did you use the bear claws to pull it!

Thank You Jim!!
Yes, this Shoulder was too tough to pull with 2 plain forks, like the Boston Butts I did the same thing with.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

One of the first times I ever smoked a "butt" for pulled pork I didn't notice I bought a cured ham. I was very green and I really had almost no idea what I was doing. I took it off the smoker and pulled it ate it and loved it. I actually bought the same thing a few times and enjoyed it every time. I'm sure yours was much better though. It looks incredible!

Loving it, Bear! Pound it :emoji_right_facing_fist:
Then let it rest however you usually do. I like to just leave mine in my MES for at least an hour & cut the heat down to about 150°.
How do you get your smoker to stay down that low? I find that if I cut the heat and even open the door for a bit, when I close the door the heated insulation causes the heat to climb pretty high again.
My second night’s Sammy was with some Horseradish Sauce.
Do you make this horseradish sauce, or buy it? If you make it, care to share?
Meat is usually not too bright.
Careful. If you find a piece of really tender meat, you might hurt it's feelings.

One of the first times I ever smoked a "butt" for pulled pork I didn't notice I bought a cured ham. I was very green and I really had almost no idea what I was doing. I took it off the smoker and pulled it ate it and loved it. I actually bought the same thing a few times and enjoyed it every time. I'm sure yours was much better though. It looks incredible!

That sounds pretty good!!
Next time you get one of them, You could try one of these "Double Smoked" Hams:
Double Smoked Ham

And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Loving it, Bear! Pound it :emoji_right_facing_fist:

How do you get your smoker to stay down that low? I find that if I cut the heat and even open the door for a bit, when I close the door the heated insulation causes the heat to climb pretty high again.

Do you make this horseradish sauce, or buy it? If you make it, care to share?

As for the "Holding" Heat, it depends on the Temp I want to keep it at:
Example: If I want it to get to & stay at about 140°, from 200°, I'll reset it at about 120°.
Then I'll swing the door open & closed a bunch of times, until it gets to about 130°.
Then I'll close the door, until it gets to about 150°.
Then I'll swing the door a few times again until it gets to 150° again.
Then I'll reset it for 140°, and swing the door until it gets below 140°.
That should stay around 140° or so. If not I would do the door swing again, but that shouldn't be needed again.
I kinda play this by ear, because it's not always exactly the same.

Sure---Here ya go:
Bear's Horseradish Sauce:
1/2 Cup of Sour Cream
3/4 Cup of prepared Horseradish (Kelchner’s)
1/2 Cup of Mayo
2 TBS of Lemon Juice
1 TBS of Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp of Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp of CBP
Place all ingredients in a Medium Mixing Bowl, and whisk until smooth & creamy.
Put in Fridge for at least 4 hours to overnight to allow flavors to meld.
May be stored in Fridge in airtight container for 2 to 3 weeks.

Bear

Reactions: Preacher Man
Looks good. Brings back some memories...Reminds me of the Pork Goodie, cured smoked butt, we ate growing up. Mom prepared it like Corned Beef and Cabbage. Leftovers were Shredded and fried in Bacon Grease to make a Hash....JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky