Pre-Easter Smoke: Pork Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

couger78

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Northern California
Not everyone in my household is a fan of the traditional Easter dish of roasted leg of lamb (
drool.gif
), so in order to please the tribe, I decided to smoke a pork shoulder & serve pulled pork sandwiches as well.

I got the shoulder rubbed well with my traditional pork rub & placed it into the MB X-Wide @ 225°F.

I'm trying for the first time my new toy: the A-maze-n tube smoker. I have Todd's 2 other models (pellet amazen & dust amazen), but this is the maiden voyage with the tube. Using his 'Pitmaster's Blend' pellets.

About 4 hours into the smoke: getting some good color....

The tube smoker is doing great. Plenty of smoke at a nice even rate...

More to come...

Kevin

Looks like a great start and I like the look of that smoke coming from the tube smoker. I have Todd's other models but not the tube smoker looks like I need to get one tho

So this ol' shoulder took a good deal longer to hit 190°F than anticipated. It hit the 174°F mark & stalled for a while. After nearly 11.5 hours, it hit 185°F so I pulled it, wrapped it in saran & foil & let it continue to rest & ride up to 190°F.

Last night pic of the finished shoulder:

Next day, time for some shredding:

It pulled rather easy without too much give (no rubbery-ness). Great tasting bark and evident smoke ring.

Taste? Very sweet meat & the rub gives it a nice KICK!

Moist and smokey, add a dab of your favorite BBQ sauce & this should make some killer Easter PP sandwiches!

I'm very impressed with the new Amazen tube smoker too. It really excelled in the MasterBuilt Gasser (low air flow) environment.

It added an outstanding smokey (not harsh or bitter) flavor to this shoulder.

Kevin

Last edited:
2thumbs.gif
  Couger78, everything you make looks picture perfect, including this shoulder.

Last edited:
Cougar that looks great, I wish I could get a weekend free to smoke, 3 more weekends tied up with Archery, kids ect. then will be time to smoke again - great Job thanks for the post.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky