Pork Belly - Now What?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yankee2bbq

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 7, 2017
Northern Arkansas-Banjo Land
Found some pork belly at my local grocery store. Never seen it before. So, I bought 2.

Some questions for you guys and gals:

How should I cook it?

Homemade bacon?

Smoke it like baby back ribs?

Whats my options here?

Banjo man out.

IMG_3367.jpeg
IMG_3366.jpeg

Never made bacon but do smoke them like ribs to slice and love pork belly burnt ends! Just did some a couple of weeks ago for DIL's birthday.

Keith

That IS unusual, especially for the regular grocery stores around here...the big chains. There's a couple old school and country grocery stores in my area you might find a whole pork belly cut like that. The one place I can count on finding it, as well as ground pork which is also not found in most chain groceries around here, is the Oriental Market...yes they call themselves an "Oriental" market.

I love bacon with the fat all rendered down but not a fan of super fatty cuts of meat in general...at least not the fat part, I tend to cut most of that off before eating it. Not that I'm worried health-wise, I just dont like eating a lot of from a taste and texture thing. I'm one of those guys that doesn't like cracklings because the fat is nasty to me!

Love to see what you decide to do!

Burnt ends are wonderful! Just make sure they’re smoked long enough to render the fat

I usually do bacon when I pick up belly like that. There's always some trimmings so the wife and I will do Hong Shao Rou or red braised pork. We've cooked them up like ribs before too. I've made salt pork with some parts of it too, though we don't cook much that uses salt pork.

Possibilities are endless. Bacon of course, and the burnt ends are always a winner. At 6 lbs I'd probably do bacon, but there are a ton of Asian inspired things you could do with a piece. My Kroger has Duroc belly that they sell by the piece, usually about a pound or so that makes for easy cookin' like a simple Char Siu.

Pork Belly Tacos gets my vote!

Several ways to go about seasoning it for tacos.
and it can be used for many other things afterwards, e.g. chile, pozole, rice, beans and more.

After cooking the whole belly, you could even cut half of it into large 2" cubes and make Mexican Flavored Burnt Ends.

Reactions: JLinza
I love belly burnt ends but these were pretty premo.

I called them boneless belly ribs. I smoked the belly with a good rub, then I sliced it into slabs that somewhat resemble a rib, added more rub to the cut sides, smoked them some more, then glazed the top and let some sauce set for the last 30-45 mins.

If I ONLY had 2 bellies, I wouldn't bother with bacon on one of them. Why? Because then you'll be buying bellies left and right and making your own bacon for the rest of your life. I will eat store bought bacon now, but I feel dirty and cheap every time now. Homemade really is that much better ;)
It'll spoil you lol

1713730983694.png

PBBEs are incredibly good though...

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky