• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

OMG!! Sooooo gooood! I could die a happy man!

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2009
OK - so on Super Bowl Sunday I trimmed some spare ribs to St. Louis cut and had them for the game. I also smoked the trimmed skirt portions that I cut off of each rack of ribs. This is a piece of meat that is a mix of fat, gristle, and some meat. I usually smoke them then pull the meat off for use in stew, sandwiches, etc. But this time I left them whole and just tossed them in the fridge.

So tonight I wanted to use them for dinner in some fashion and took inspiration from the Food Network.
biggrin.gif

Laid the trimmings in a pan, then added 1 1/2 cups of a cabernet sauvignon, 2 cups of beef broth, 2 cups water, some celery, and a small chopped up onion. Covered tightly and put into a 350° oven for 2 hours.

After two hours took them out strained and de-fatted the juices and added a little corn starch slurry to thicken it to a nice demi glace. Shredded the pork and then put it in the pot with the demi glace. During the last 45 minutes of the  pork braising I tossed in a pan of carrots and potato's to oven roast with some garlic salt and pepper. Platted it all up and OMG! It was so decadent, nice meaty sauce with a ton of flavor. Was like something you would have paid $20 for at a nice restraunt.

This is repeat dish for sure!
sausage.gif

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
JIR, That dish looks divine !

chewmeister

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nice! It's amazing what braising can do to a less desirable piece of meat.

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2009

That's definitely a winner, the skirt is my daughters favorite part of the ribs, makes great rib bits too!

points.gif
Those look great as well!

Yeah, the braising in wine and beef broth made a super meaty rich gravy, and suprisingly enough you could still tell it was pork not beef. I highly suggest it next time you got some left over smoked skirt.

sqwib

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Sep 25, 2007
Absolutely... I think I'll enjoy that more than the ribs!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
Clicky