New hard Nitrided CI Pans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
I went out shopping with the wife the other day and while at the discount store I spied these for 15 a piece so I grabbed a couple to try......
DA49B420-7ECF-4FEF-9D40-271023B1A44E.jpeg

55A1B77B-26B5-4D7B-9CB7-6E468F07215B.jpeg

I washed them clean and skimmed them with some grape seed oil and the in the pellet grill @ 425 for 2 hours (I didn’t want to go too hot due to the handles....they came out looking very very nice...
5DA8E49F-8FD3-4FB5-B02B-C8D41159B44E.jpeg

I’ve done some cooking on them and they are slick suckers, and they are now my fav fry pan in the kitchen. So much so when the wife texted yesterday from the discount store yesterday and said they had some more I pleaded with her to buy the lot (now have 8”, 3-10”, 12”)!!!! So Santa came to town....

SO they are a coated CI pan? They look good and cheap.

They look good. Have you used them yet. What discount store did you get them at.

PC, they don’t seem to be it’s more like a CI version of a nitrited treatment like a gun barrel. They season just like regular CI but are slick. One of my tests was doing some honey glazed walnuts for my wife’s salad....it wiped right out!

SO they are a coated CI pan? They look good and cheap.

PC I did a little research and the treatment basically makes them not rust like normal CI and they are a bit harder so they can be thinner. Other than that they work just like normal CI. Although they seem to be way more non-stick, but they have a nice finish on them so when seasoned they are like a polished CI.

Despite them being called CI they look more like coated thick Carbon Steel to me. Either way they look like winners. :emoji_ok_hand:

dang I like the look of those, may see what I can find, like to try 1 or 5 lol

as long as the bottom is smooth no problem, hard for me to find clearance stuff when I been avoiding stores

Reactions: Bearcarver
They look like really nice pans! Nice find civilsmoker!

Ryan

I’ve had carbon steel pans and these are totally different. There is no coating but I have researched and they do nitride bath on CI for rust protection. I wouldn't really consider nitride a coating as it’s more of a treatment.....they also have a progressive or changing thickness. They are thin on the edges then get a lot thicker as they go around the radius and much thicker on the bottom..... they also say induction ready on the back so they would work on glass no problem.

either way they season up nice and we will see how they hold up! We go through fry pans in our house like charcoal......I can’t believe I’m going to admit this but we currently have (in non-stick) 3 each of 8”, 10”, 12” and then a set of 3 ply stainless of each size above. Now we has the new ci 8” 3-10” 12”. Oh then we have our normal CI fry pans...I think I need therapy!!!!

They look great . The one I bought my son for Christmas is carbon steel . Do you just season the carbon like cast iron ?

Chop, yes I seasoned mine just CI except I didn’t go above 450 in the season temp to prevent the chance of warping

I have a couple carbon griddles and treat them the same as well They do warp or change dimension when they get hot.

Reactions: chopsaw
Those are nice looking pans.
I checked out the TJMaxx site and they don't show them. :emoji_disappointed::emoji_disappointed:
So, they must be "in store only" items.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky