New Dyna-Glo vertical offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
2019-06-15 17.41.10 (3).jpg
Hey guys Holy shit I placed First in pulled pork over the weekend!

Congrats Prez! That is awesome and the chimney is a really interesting idea. Not trying to step on your toes here, just updating the thread when I get the next step in.

Got the mods done to the smoker last week. My dad's birthday is coming up so last weekend we traveled up to MN so his granddaughters could wish him a happy birthday in person.

Today is the only day this week where it's not raining in Omaha. So this is the only day I can get in a test run before a week long vacation to see the wife's family. So this is the only day to get a test run in really before the 4th of July and me hanging around smoking actual meat all day. I'll get a picture or two up tonight.

Congrats Prez! That is awesome and the chimney is a really interesting idea. Not trying to step on your toes here, just updating the thread when I get the next step in.

Got the mods done to the smoker last week. My dad's birthday is coming up so last weekend we traveled up to MN so his granddaughters could wish him a happy birthday in person.

Today is the only day this week where it's not raining in Omaha. So this is the only day I can get in a test run before a week long vacation to see the wife's family. So this is the only day to get a test run in really before the 4th of July and me hanging around smoking actual meat all day. I'll get a picture or two up tonight.

Hey man this is what its all about... Looking forward to seeing your mods!

Reactions: HotRoutePod
Fired the smoker up for the test run yesterday. Everything ran better than expected for my first time.

Got the temp up to 250 and held it there for a few hours before it ran out. Best part of all is there was no visible smoke leaks.

I bought the wide version of this smoker. Should get here tomorrow. I also got the RTV and seal strip from lavalock. I work in an automotive shop so I have access to metal, question I have is if I add the baffle and new exhaust, does it need to be stainless or can I used cold rolled or A2 metal? Don't think the exhaust should matter, more so for the baffle as the heat on the baffle transferring taste to the meat. Also I was thinking of adding in some sort of grommet to poke my probes through the side or back and adding a shelf for my digital temp gauge to sit on, just not sure if the rubber grommets I see on Amazon will do the trick or not. Another question I have is the seal for the firebox, if the RTV I have is only rated to 650* should I use that for the door or should I use the strip with adhesive. I currently use an offset barrel smoker and that fire box gets damn hot.

I bought the wide version of this smoker. Should get here tomorrow. I also got the RTV and seal strip from lavalock. I work in an automotive shop so I have access to metal, question I have is if I add the baffle and new exhaust, does it need to be stainless or can I used cold rolled or A2 metal? Don't think the exhaust should matter, more so for the baffle as the heat on the baffle transferring taste to the meat. Also I was thinking of adding in some sort of grommet to poke my probes through the side or back and adding a shelf for my digital temp gauge to sit on, just not sure if the rubber grommets I see on Amazon will do the trick or not. Another question I have is the seal for the firebox, if the RTV I have is only rated to 650* should I use that for the door or should I use the strip with adhesive. I currently use an offset barrel smoker and that fire box gets damn hot.

I used the adhesive tape on both doors, 2 years now still no issues

Reactions: Chasebanks
ive just got done scrubbing the heck out of mine cleaning the insides up,
Im MAD at mine, the firebox got to hot and warped the side,
(I was using that wood chunk-charcoal ,
I usually use kingsford briquets) where the sliding vent is and now it lets a ton of air in,
so ive ordered 2-4inch pinwheels and a 2inch ugly drum top vent
ive cut some thick sheet metal to mount the pinwheels to,
if they dont work like i want ill buy 3 2inch top vents and use them on the side,
I also took off the darn useless drip-AIRLEAK-tray
and took 2 small canning lids and gooped them up bolted those over the hole,
ill take some pictures and post them,
I get my parts next week

Got my smoker today. Took about an hour to put together with adding in the RTV and gasket for fire box door. Also went and picked up some sheet metal for making the baffle. Going to do a seasoning run with out the baffle then another hot pass with the baffle. If I get this weekend off of work it'll be ribs and beef kabobs on the smoker. Pics to come.

ok all, I put scotch tape around my door frames, smoker side and firebox
yesterday then smeared the calk-sealer on the doors closed them up
and let them sit till this morning,
MY DOORS won't open LOL
the sealer is stuck to the tape that is stuck to the door frames,,,

HELP

im an idiot,,shoulda used saran wrap

Last edited:
Took a heat gun and started heating up the doors,
got them both opened, got the tape removed,
sprayed pam around the frames,
started a smokey fire in the box,
closed the doors,
no leaks except a slight one around the handle on the smoke box side,
closed the sliding firebox vent,
capped off the exit vent
fire went out, nice being able to put the charcoal out, like my webber,
now i have a lot more control over the heat

Did you do anything with the sliding firebox vent? to seal that better? im curious to see a picture of how you did the doors.

For the firebox vents on mine I bought some partially threaded stainless steel bolts, with nuts and springs. The springs push the sliding door tight against the smoker body to seal. It's not perfect, but pretty it was the best I could come up with for a part that has to slide back and forth all the time. I'll try to take a picture if it stops raining later.

im waiting for my pinwheel to get here,
I did get the top vent today, got it painted and mounted,
im going to take pics of my pinwheel-build/replacement
and ill post it,

right now with vents closed and warped, top vent open all the way,
using the wood-charcoal im hitting 300F tops, so sealing the leaks on the doors and sealing the stupid drip pan has helped cutting off excess air flow
if i close the top vent half way (and it fits over the original hole on top)
i can keep it at 270
I also noticed im getting more clear heat out the top vent and not tinted smoke
so its burning more efficiently

Edit: Nevermind, I misunderstood what you were saying. I know the mod you're talking about.

So, fired up the smoker today to do a seasoning run. Vent on firebox is halfway open and chimney on the first click to going back closed here are my temps. 1) right by chimney 2) 2nd grate down left hand side 3) 3rd grate down right hand side 4) bottom grate middle.
Screenshot_20190710-144829.png Screenshot_20190710-144818.png

Haven't made my baffle yet due to not being sure if the sheet metal I bought has and zinc to it or maybe galvanized ( says it's just weld steel 22guage). Possibly going to metal by the foot and just pick up some good A2 that I know is good. Here are the rest of the pics.

2019071095135727.jpg 2019071095134428.jpg 2019071095134420.jpg 2019071095143243.jpg 2019071095143232.jpg

Back porch is a little messy, joys of having a toddler and trash from the new smoker lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky