New Chargriller Gravity Fed Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The Pellet Pro Austin XL still works and I can Set-it and Forget-it once it’s prepped. I was a big fan of the CG 980 because of the bbq it can produce. It’s just frustrating when a company uses a second tiered app designer to push through a garbage app update. I just checked the reviews in the Apple App Store…Out of about 27 reviews, the app gets 1 Star…. and everyone is reporting exactly what I’m dealing with. The new update app is complete Garbage!!! There is no way they did any quality control or testing to ensure the app functioned properly. This app update is completely different from the original app. Only the colors used in the app are the same.. If there was away to delete this app and reinstall the original, I would in a heartbeat.. but that’s not possible. This smoker is going to be untouched and unused until CharGriller can get the original app designers to release an update to fix this garbage of an app. Any potential CG 980 buyers on the fence…. I would wait until there is a proven functional fix that addresses all the malfunctions that this current app update is causing. .02

Char-Griller 980 GF… Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Last edited:
The Pellet Pro Austin XL still works and I can Set-it and Forget-it once it’s prepped. I was a big fan of the CG 980 because of the bbq it can produce. It’s just frustrating when a company uses a second tiered app designer to push through a garbage app update. I just checked the reviews in the Apple App Store…Out of about 27 reviews, the app gets 1 Star…. and everyone is reporting exactly what I’m dealing with. The new update app is complete Garbage!!! There is no way they did any quality control or testing to ensure the app functioned properly. This app update is completely different from the original app. Only the colors used in the app are the same.. If there was away to delete this app and reinstall the original, I would in a heartbeat.. but that’s not possible. This smoker is going to be untouched and unused until CharGriller can get the original app designers to release an update to fix this garbage of an app. Any potential CG 980 buyers on the fence…. I would wait until there is a proven functional fix that addresses all the malfunctions that this current app update is causing. .02

Char-Griller 980 GF… Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi
That stinks your having so many issues with the new app. I'm cooking on mine right now and I did a brisket earlier that I started Friday night and went into Saturday and mine worked fine. The only issue I had was that I didn't know they had updated it and i couldn't connect to the old app. I uninstalled the old app and reinstalled the new one and then i realized it was different. I'm not having any connection issues, i can be any where in my house and I'm connected. I haven't tried the timer but i don't have to reconnect or reenter the password. My temperature reading on the app only lags about a couple degrees at most. I'm thinking your right about the apple app being the problem. I'm on android.
I did burn up my flap about a month ago, so I had to get a new flap and I went ahead and bought the Lss mod for the fan extension. Working great since I got that fixed.

Tom

Reactions: negolien
Just wanted to update.. Char-Griller, after hearing from so many unhappy customers and reading posts online, has reposted the original Char-Griller Gravity app for users to download and it’s available on the Apple App Store. Hopefully there won’t be a lot of confusion, as the garbage app is still available in the Apple App Store as well. That app even has a CG 980 picture posted in it.. Could be very confusing for some… FYI… The reposted/working app is posted as “Char-Griller Gravity” in the Apple App Store and it doesn’t have any ratings/reviews yet. The garbage app has a 1 star rating after about 58 plus reviews .02

I was just checking out some of postings on the Facebook Char-Griller 980 page. I don’t do Facebook or social media sites like that. That’s just me… but one of postings had someone dealing with wild temp spikes on their CG 980. I too had the same exact issue and wanted to share what solved the temp spike problem here, as there are many CG 980 users dealing with this and CG Customer Service doesn’t seem to have a fix for it at the moment.
1. First, do a thorough inspection of your smoker and seal any possible air leaks on and around the charcoal hopper and charcoal hopper fan.
  1. Some CG 980 users are using the heat baffle to block and control the excessive heat spikes, but using the heat baffle that way can cause more damage and issues down the road.
  2. What has worked for me, is I installed a large water pan and use it as a heat sink and a meat tenderizer. The dimensions of the water pan are 17-1/2 inches in length, 13 inches in width and 2 inches in depth. For the water pan to fit, I had to remove the heat tent. Is it a perfect fit? No, but it gets the job done. I fill the water pan about 80% full of cold water and just add more as the water evaporates during the course of a bbq.
  3. Before adding the water pan, the CG 980’s temp would spike up over 100*-150* degrees over the set temp. Now, the temp stays dialed in within 5*-10* degrees all day. I just did a 8 hour bbq in a hot 105* degree breezy day and no temp spike problems at all. When I first got the CG 980, I didn’t have any temp spikes, so this tells me it’s due to wear and tear. I tried sealing off everything I could and still the same problem. Not until I added the water pan did the temp spikes get resolved.
I know this is CharGrillers first Gravity Feed Smoker…. Hopefully they’re listening to their customers complaints and are working on a better quality product with Gen. 2 whenever that gets released. The WiFi/Bluetooth App is terrible, the Fan flap melting issues and the temp spikes problems really needs to be addressed. It’s not impossible, it just comes down to better quality control and better quality materials used in production. .02. I hope the water pan tip/mod helps those who are dealing with the temp spike issue and good luck.

Could the temp swings be caused by a bad grill probe; the one connected to the controller? I had a similar issue in my pellet grill; the probe was indicating 30-40 degrees higher than actual. Replaced the probe and all is well.

Rick

Reactions: RCAlan
Could the temp swings be caused by a bad grill probe; the one connected to the controller? I had a similar issue in my pellet grill; the probe was indicating 30-40 degrees higher than actual. Replaced the probe and all is well.

Rick
Unfortunately, there’s quite a few things that are causing the temp spike problem... It’s always wise to do a thorough inspection of everything to eliminate all the possibilities. The most common cause for the temp spikes on the CharGriller GF Smoker, is there’s to much air getting into the charcoal hopper. It’s either a bad seal and or a leak/opening near the charcoal bed in the charcoal hopper. I’ve verified the temp spikes myself on my CG 980 with a separate temp thermometer. I’ve tried to tighten up all the bolts on the charcoal hopper and the charcoal hopper fan housing and that didn’t work. I tried putting aluminum foil in where the shutter blade goes in and that didn’t work. I also sealed up everything that look like it could possibly feed extra air to the charcoal hopper… No luck. Putting in the heat baffle blade does help, but going that route may cause more problems down the road. For me, adding the water pan has really help in taming the temp spikes. It seems to be a good band-Aid in the meantime, until I can finally find the cause of the temp spikes. .02

Last edited:
What has worked for me, is I installed a large water pan and use it as a heat sink and a meat tenderizer. The dimensions of the water pan are 17-1/2 inches in length, 13 inches in width and 2 inches in depth. For the water pan to fit, I had to remove the heat tent. Is it a perfect fit? No, but it gets the job done. I fill the water pan about 80% full of cold water and just add more as the water evaporates during the course of a bbq.
Hey, R RCAlan ...do you have any pictures of this modification you did? I read it, but I'm getting it.

Hey, R RCAlan ...do you have any pictures of this modification you did? I read it, but I'm getting it.

I don’t have a picture of the water pan installed below the main cooking grate at the moment, but you can place one on top of the main cooking grate if you have one and fill it with water. The water is great heat sink and will help tame the temp spikes. A couple of other options you can try to help solve the temp spikes are..
  1. Use a high temp zip tie and close the fan door to about 75%-80% closed. Doing this will help prevent excessive air from feeding the fuel/charcoal in the charcoal hopper.
  2. Place some aluminum foil in the small opening of the Fire Channel on the side near the temp probe. Does this actually work? I’m not sure, but I’ve read that it does.
  3. Use an independent grill thermometer to verify the grills temp is accurate.
The main causes of the temp spikes is excessive air feeding the charcoal and or the grill’s thermometer is dirty or faulty.

Give these tips a shot and post back. Good luck.

popcorn 2.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: DinnerIsComing
IMG_8094.jpeg

Dimensions stated in post# 105…
IMG_8098.jpeg

IMG_8096.jpeg

Double screened fan opening to prevent fan flap and fan motor damage… Temp swing problem solved.
IMG_8097.jpeg

Reactions: bill1
R RCAlan

...ok, now I understand what you did! I'm a visual kind of guy and I couldn't picture it all in my head. Makes sense now... Thanks!

And that pan doesn't topple over in the middle of a cook?

I installed an after-market modification for the fan. It's an additional barrier between the heat source and the flap. So far, no complaints about it. If you're interested, here's the link (there's a video there as well). I've mentioned this to others -- $100 expense was worth the extra peace of mind.

BTW, I'm jealous of the black hood. I'm assuming you painted it yourself, as well as the added the thermometers?

Last edited:
I just went through this whole thread and about ready to pull the trigger on a used 980 GF for $375 if it's still available, until I got to the most recent posts about the app and temp spike issues. Have either of those been ironed out? I saw the water pan workaround for temp spikes, but can this be used without the app? I have a 4 probe wireless Inkbird monitor, so I'm ok if I can just set controls manually. Assuming this is still a good buy, I have a few lingering questions.

I'm wanting a smoker/grill combo, but I see "grilling" on this is with indirect heat. I know that isn't as good as being flame kissed, but does anyone actually regret the grilling results on it for burgers or steaks?

Another question is the size. I have a family of 10, plus the occasional visitor or 3. This has plenty of smoking room, but what about for grilling? On my current and needing to be replaced Webber, I have to cook at least 2, and sometimes 3 batches just to feed the family without extra visitors. This looks like it may do it in one batch, but possibly cutting it close. I saw at least one comment related to the temp drop across the cooking chamber, so is this something I'll need to take into account for grilling as well?

Lastly, can the coals be shut down, or do you just fill the hopper with whatever you think you'll need and let any excess burn off at the end?

I've not been here in several years. I asked about grill/smoker combos back then as well and had been set on a 48" Assassin grill. After all this time, it's been out of my budget due to various surprises along the way. It's still out of my budget, but I saw that used 980 GF and got to wondering. At that price, it seemed a no brainer. Even new at the current $650 price, I'm struggling to rationalize if the assassin would bring over double the needed value when comparing prices. So now I'm trying to decide if this is the one to get.

Mooncatt Mooncatt .. You might want to start your own thread as Chef JJ has passed away (RIP JJ) ...
Wow, sorry to hear that. I noticed a few others (especially RC) were quite active and helpful in this thread and I was hoping one of them would still be watching to chime back in. If not, I'll consider starting another thread for some fresh input.

Mooncatt Mooncatt

...I'll try to address your questions...
I'm wanting a smoker/grill combo, but I see "grilling" on this is with indirect heat. I know that isn't as good as being flame kissed, but does anyone actually regret the grilling results on it for burgers or steaks?
I have not used my 980 to high-temp grill, mostly because the grates are porcelain covered and I've never been satisfied with porcelain grill mark. But, "problem solved" with an extra cast iron grate. I primarily use it as a smoker.
Another question is the size. I have a family of 10, plus the occasional visitor or 3. This has plenty of smoking room, but what about for grilling? On my current and needing to be replaced Webber, I have to cook at least 2, and sometimes 3 batches just to feed the family without extra visitors. This looks like it may do it in one batch, but possibly cutting it close. I saw at least one comment related to the temp drop across the cooking chamber, so is this something I'll need to take into account for grilling as well?
Wow -- 10+ people? I can't say that I've ever done that but be warned... Char-Griller advertises the grill as having 980 sq. in. of cooking space. That number includes the upper rack so it's a little misleading (then again, all the grill companies do it too). I don't know the true grate-level size, but I'm sure you can Google it.

I have seen an after-market grate that extends the upper rack into a full surface. Granted, no grilling, but it's additional space (I just found the link for you).

After having cooked on it for a year now, I have realized that the temperature spikes have more to do with me being a cheap ass and not wanting to fill the hopper with briquettes or lump charcoal. I have now noticed that if you get spikes, it means the hopper is almost empty. For me, adding more fuel solves the problem in short order. The drops I haven't noticed.
Lastly, can the coals be shut down, or do you just fill the hopper with whatever you think you'll need and let any excess burn off at the end?
If you close the fan door, replace the (so-called) "Fire Shutter" (isolating the chimney from the cook chamber), and turn off the controller, this will kill the fire. On the other hand, you will get accustomed to gaging the amount of fuel you'd use for a cook (note lump will burn down faster than briquettes because of surrounding air and their ununiform shape; briquettes being regularly shaped my snuff out easier).

All that said, I will tend to let what remains burn off (but I've gotten good at estimating how much I need based on duration and temp of the cook -- experience and "learning your cooker"). For me, it's easier to dump spent ashes than removing the chimney and finding someplace to store half-burnt fuel.

Well, I hope some of that helped. If not, ping me and I'll try to clarify your questions. I should mention that this grill is HEAVY! It took me and two neighbors to lift it onto my back deck. If you're not ready to have a permanent home for it, you might want to look elsewhere. But 50% off isn't a bad price (for me, I'd rather buy new b/c buying used is just inheriting somebody else's problems, as well as you aren't gaining the benefit of the warranties).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky