Need quick advice: Apple Juice or Cherry Dr. Pepper?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Stopsign32v

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 11, 2023
Making a Boston butt this evening and will be using Jeff's rub on it. My plan is a dripping tray under the butt with a shallow amount of Apple Juice or Cherry Dr. Pepper, spritz the butt every 30 min or hour with the Apple Juice or Cherry Dr. Pepper. Then when time, place the butt in the dripping tray with the liquid and finish it wrapped in foil.

Which would you go with though? The Apple Juice or Cherry Dr. Pepper?

Your choice on spritzing. Butts have more than enough fat to keep them moist without spritzing. Regarding the drip tray, I've never added anything but a very small amount of water so the drippings don't dry up.

Reactions: fxsales1959
Your choice on spritzing. Butts have more than enough fat to keep them moist without spritzing. Regarding the drip tray, I've never added anything but a very small amount of water so the drippings don't dry up.

I like how the sugar in the spritz caramelizes to the meat. Layer and layer of caramelization.

As schlotz said above, you really don't have to Spritz a Butt. But if you choose to, either will work great. The sugar content in the Cherry Dr. Pepper is nearly triple compared to Apple Juice (27g vs. 10g ). So you will get more of a glaze from it.

- Jason

I'm not a Dr Pepper fan so I've used Cheerwine instead. I usually use apple or peach though.
Hmm? Peaches are gonna be in season here soon. Giving me a urge now.

I also do not generally spritz when making pulled pork. However, for ribs I mix apple juice, a little apple cider vinegar, a little Jack Daniels, a little honey and some BBQ sauce and spray......

Is there real sugar in the soda's or is it high fcs? I always use apple juice when I spritz. I looked up the DrPepper, real cane sugar , I would use that if wanting something besides apple.

I use apple cider and not a spritz person at all..... I also add a little apple cider vinegar and sugar in the raw as well with it, along with some chicken broth (& tbsp of veg base). Makes a very nice finishing sauce......

Reactions: jcam222
I don't spritz for butts that will be pulled. I do run a pan of liquid but it's almost always chicken broth with some rub in it.

I use straight water in my drip pan. Also If your going to put the butt in the pan when foiling make sure you set it on a small rack. So the butt isn't sitting in the juice. That way you'll prevent mushy meat and weaknd bark.

Chris

I don't spritz for butts that will be pulled. I do run a pan of liquid but it's almost always chicken broth with some rub in it.

Why don't you guys like spritzing? Gives the pork a nice caramelized sweet layer.

Just personal preference. I like to keep the lid closed cause if you're lookin' ya ain't cookin'. Not that fond of a sweet profile on the bark.

If I'm spritzing pork, it depends on the wood that I'm using (I wouldn't expect as much from a Cherry Dr. Pepper if I'm using cherry wood; if I want heavy on that flavor, I'll make a cherry finishing sauce), but I like to use a bit of alcohol-sugar-acid mix, usually dark rum + ACV or bourbon + honey + lemon juice. After all, it's good manners to offer a pre-dinner cocktail to your guests meal.

Reactions: JIMSMOKES
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky