Need New Pepper Grinders

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I keep two coffee grinders for my black pepper. One fine and one course. Couple weeks ago the fine broke. I making couple rubs today, my favorite Jeff's Sweet Heat and also Jeff Phillips original and now my course one broke. The part that turns the rod is made of plastic. Any recommendations? I do like the way the handles fold on the ones I have now.

IMG_20240624_111223144_HDR.jpg

Manual grinders are all about whatever fits your hands. That's the most important thing, especially if you're cranking a lot of pepper. Capacity, consistency, and price matter, but not as much if you start to cramp up after just a few twists.

After a certain point, I like plug-in electric spice grinders - especially this Cuisinart, but there are others, too. Works great for incorporating other spices (whole cinnamon, Szechuan pepper, cloves, etc.), freshly grinding coffee (cleaning out the cinnamon dust beforehand is optional, imho), even breaking down nuts.

Wife bought me the Pepper Cannon a while back. It is expensive but it is the best grinder I have ever had. It grinds extremely fine to very course and very fast. mannkitchen.com

Original Greek Pepper Mill​

This is the Mack Daddy of pepper mills. Had mine for over 15 years. For big jobs (like brisket) you can remove the handle and put your drill motor on it.
51QOQnpRqcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Redicans
Also you can consider a coffee burr grinder for large volume. Can do any size grind you want, and do it pretty quickly.

I have a Krups from Amazon. I think it was about $50.

I keep two coffee grinders for my black pepper. One fine and one course. Couple weeks ago the fine broke. I making couple rubs today, my favorite Jeff's Sweet Heat and also Jeff Phillips original and now my course one broke. The part that turns the rod is made of plastic. Any recommendations? I do like the way the handles fold on the ones I have now.

View attachment 699404
can't help with the grinders. I usually buy the quart sized Kirkland coarse black pepper and store in a suction container. For dinner , for table use we have two usb electric grinders, one with coarse sea salt and the other with tri-color pepper. It took us about 5 sets of Chinese crap to find a pair that works continually. They are now discontinued, but with proper care continue to function fine for table use. I would never even try a bulk grind with them. If for some reason I would need a tbl or two of "fresh" black pepper I would use my grinder and peppercorns, though i wonder of the freshness of store bought pepper corns.

OXO for every day, cheap bur grinder for volume.

Watching this thread closely. Anyone with electric recommendations? One hand operation is nice. But the two sets I've bought were broken in 3 months

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky