My turn to help a novice.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
Mrning All,
I''ve got a fiend that just asked what his first smoker should be. I said" how much time do you have for me to explain?". They guy is good with grills typically managing several at a time entertaining his apt. complex poolside crowds. He's been watching my posts on poop-book and just bought a house and can actually use a smoker, unlike at the condo he lived in. If he was still local I'd drive up and help, but he is now over 100 miles away. To help make him successful without frustration I'm leaning pellet (though I'd never own one (yet)
What say y'all? he's in an urban area where big box stores are availble, though be drives a big rig for Costco.
I told him, no matter what you do don't ask his question on than idiot acebook group.
thank
john

Reactions: JLeonard
A kettle is great for learning fire management and lots can be done with it. But you know that. And direct him over here to SMF. He can browse without signing up (yet) and look at what all folks here are using. May help with his decision making.

Jim

Yup... I agree with a kettle to start with... You should know as well since you use a WSM That it would be a great choice as well...

What's he grilling with now ... Gas or Charcoal ??

Yup... I agree with a kettle to start with... You should know as well since you use a WSM That it would be a great choice as well...

What's he grilling with now ... Gas or Charcoal ??
the guy is a magician at using complex supplied pool-side propane grills, and if you've ever used "community" grills you get it. I wish I didn't get involved now. Rectec has an affordable patio version but they are mail order only. He's a bit like me, where I want to buy anything that plugs in, from a brick and mortar, so i have someone's ass to stick it up if it comes broken/defective.
my second guess would be Treager from the orange store, but I read a lot of funky reviews
thanks all

Reactions: JLeonard
I would also say kettle.
I got my start on a gasser and using foil packs of wood chips

if you've ever used "community" grills you get it.
Yup . Same deal , subdivision clubhouse with 3 pools .

He might be looking at the right time . Watch Memorial Day sales that should be coming up .
I would suggest an entry level 22" kettle . Original with one touch clean out / open ash pan is $150 or less .
Add on a spinner set up from Only Fire . The combo pizza / spinner is $150 . That one has extra grate lugs at the top of the ring . You can elevate the cooking grate for smoking , or run two at the same time .
Be a nice set up that he'll most likely use for a long time .

Then , since Weber is coming out with a new version of pellet grill , watch for closeout sales on a Gen 2 SmokeFire . Fantastic all around smoker / grill with the option of pellets .

Since he's new, and used to grilling on Brinkman and the like. and recently married probably sub $$1000 or cheaper. I've walked this road before and understand buy once cry once. but don't want to shock him with REC 1250 money.
They do have 7 pellet grills from $450 to $1,000.
I've never had one, but have heard nothing but good things about them and their service.

Reactions: fxsales1959
the guy is a magician at using complex supplied pool-side propane grills, and if you've ever used "community" grills you get it. I wish I didn't get involved now. Rectec has an affordable patio version but they are mail order only. He's a bit like me, where I want to buy anything that plugs in, from a brick and mortar, so i have someone's ass to stick it up if it comes broken/defective.
my second guess would be Treager from the orange store, but I read a lot of funky reviews
thanks all
ACE is a new dealer for Recteq and have 2 or 3 models specifically to choose from. Local store here stocks the Bullseye and the new 700 model maybe.

Keith

Last edited:
fxsales1959 fxsales1959 I have a 5 year old Pit Boss1100 I got for about $700 at Menards. I love it minus the grease bucket that isn't a bucket. Done lots of brisket and pork on it. Can get a good size wifi one for about $500 these days.

Mrning All,
I''ve got a fiend that just asked what his first smoker should be. I said" how much time do you have for me to explain?". They guy is good with grills typically managing several at a time entertaining his apt. complex poolside crowds. He's been watching my posts on poop-book and just bought a house and can actually use a smoker, unlike at the condo he lived in. If he was still local I'd drive up and help, but he is now over 100 miles away. To help make him successful without frustration I'm leaning pellet (though I'd never own one (yet)
What say y'all? he's in an urban area where big box stores are availble, though be drives a big rig for Costco.
I told him, no matter what you do don't ask his question on than idiot acebook group.
thank
john
thank you all. I'll let you know if/when he makes the plunge, then direct him here. Been too many times I've taken the advisor role and been totally ignored. I get it a lot with automotive audio. "gee I wish I could make my jeep sound like yours" but that's another topic. I recommended the rectec Patio.I'm getting too old for this shit.

Reactions: bigfurmn
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky