my-oh-my.. what to buy?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx pitmaster

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 13, 2018
Carrollton, TX
so as i researched to death.. (as my wife would say :emoji_laughing:) new pellet grills in conjunction with price point, reliability, strength of materials, warranty and customer service... i kept coming back to check the Camp Chef (CC) line. i do like the windwood series, but.. it's just out of my price point.

now... the smokepro sg 24 wifi is within my price point and after talking with the csr at camp chef the only real differences are a color digital readout, stainless lid (which will get black anyway), and 4 probes versus 2 for the sg. i mentioned that i was a vietnam veteran., and she said to email my info to their support dept., and they'd set up a account which will be 25% off.. SAY WHAT...? um.. done deal then!! so, now all i'm waiting for is the email from C-C.

as i'm looking at different sources for the grill.. from C-C, the price will be $569 to my backyard while from home depot it'll be $547. how can it be less expensive..? home depot sells the grill for 599, versus the 700 CC does.., and then home depot gives me 10% off because i'm a vet.. pert cool..!

thoughts?

ron-

Reactions: forktender
C.C. customer service has been better than awesome too me.
When I need another pellet puker it will be another C.C. for sure. Guy's rave about Rec tec bulls. Nice grills but they don't "smoke" any better than my cheap $300 at Dick's on closeout C.C. yes I've used both.
Pick the one you like and roll with it.👍

I wouldn't worry about how many probs it comes with Inkbirds are cheap and have worked great for me and everyone that I recommended them too.

You originally put $700 in your price range?
With that 25% discount you can step up to the Woodwind series and get a sidekick for $750 that offers a few more features?

Thank you for your service. Brother is a Vietnam Vet and son is E-5 in the Army

You originally put $700 in your price range?
With that 25% discount you can step up to the Woodwind series and get a sidekick for $750 that offers a few more features?

Thank you for your service. Brother is a Vietnam Vet and son is E-5 in the Army
Unfortunately CC will not reduce the woodwind series with the discount.. ☹☹ The CC CSR mentioned that.. how sad..

• Sad
Reactions: Fueling Around
20210323_184934.jpg

Well I pulled the trigger on a new CampChef SG 24 WiFi this afternoon..!

I know your dilemma. I am going through the same thing right now. Seems like people that have used pellet smokers a lot all agree that the end product tastes the same no matter which one you use. So, it comes down to durability, warranty, quality of parts. I am torn between the Yoder line and Rec Tec, now known as RecTeg.
I have seen the Yoders and have had food cooked on them. They seem pretty rugged. I know that some people don't want cookers that rust but, I had a iron smoker for 20 years and never found it to be a big deal. You just deal with it the moment you see it and don't let it get away from you. I have not seen the RecTegs in person. Looking at pictures they don't look like they would have the life span of a Yoder but, pictures are deceiving. They seem to have the same type of fervent followers as the Big Green Egg does.
Anybody here have a RecTeg and if so, would you change your decision and buy something else if you could?

well i fired up the CC SG for the initial burn which is 350 degrees for 30 minutes. this said both my buddy and i thought that the manufacture used.. "alot' of oils on all the parts prior to shipping. this said i did use 350 degrees, but i kept the unit running for an hour.

for the pellets i used the cherry/apple LJ.. i got 'em at Dicks, and thinking there might be a less expensive outlet.. i live in north texas 'carrollton' so if anyone knows of a better place... let me know.. i see that these pellets are so much better than traegers... which to me was "it doesn't matter which traeger pellets you buy.. the taste is the same".. so just buy the cheapest.

it was raining last night so my wife and i will be trying this puppy out on friday afternoon for dinner!

Reactions: Winterrider
I know your dilemma. I am going through the same thing right now. Seems like people that have used pellet smokers a lot all agree that the end product tastes the same no matter which one you use. So, it comes down to durability, warranty, quality of parts. I am torn between the Yoder line and Rec Tec, now known as RecTeg.
I have seen the Yoders and have had food cooked on them. They seem pretty rugged. I know that some people don't want cookers that rust but, I had a iron smoker for 20 years and never found it to be a big deal. You just deal with it the moment you see it and don't let it get away from you. I have not seen the RecTegs in person. Looking at pictures they don't look like they would have the life span of a Yoder but, pictures are deceiving. They seem to have the same type of fervent followers as the Big Green Egg does.
Anybody here have a RecTeg and if so, would you change your decision and buy something else if you could?

The RT-590 or aka the Stampede has vents but the step up which is the Bull(what I have) has a chimney so depends on what you are buying.

I went with RecTeq over Yoder for a few reasons but one of them being rust. I loved (and almost 2 years later still love) the idea of stainless steel. And the price was the other major factor. In my humble opinion, the RecTeq is a better value however can't ever go wrong with a Yoder. I did also like the hopper being in the back of the grill and having 40 lb hopper is awesome also.

I bought my RecTeq without seeing one in person. I do understand how others do want to and not that I didn't want to. If you join one of the RecTeq groups on fb, I am sure you could find someone close to you who has one.

Good luck!

well i fired up the CC SG for the initial burn which is 350 degrees for 30 minutes. this said both my buddy and i thought that the manufacture used.. "alot' of oils on all the parts prior to shipping. this said i did use 350 degrees, but i kept the unit running for an hour.

for the pellets i used the cherry/apple LJ.. i got 'em at Dicks, and thinking there might be a less expensive outlet.. i live in north texas 'carrollton' so if anyone knows of a better place... let me know.. i see that these pellets are so much better than traegers... which to me was "it doesn't matter which traeger pellets you buy.. the taste is the same".. so just buy the cheapest.

it was raining last night so my wife and i will be trying this puppy out on friday afternoon for dinner!

I just got a CC DLX 24. I love it. I have never had a smoker before, and have only used it once, but it was simple to put together, seems quality and worked flawlessly. I am looking forward to many more cooks with it. I am sure you will enjoy yours.

Reactions: tx pitmaster
pitmaster, Academy Sports sells B&B pellets which are rebranded BBQers Delight for a good price and Atwoods Ranch and Home sells LumberJack and Bear Mtn. for similar pricing. Both appear to be near you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky