More UBEs (ugly but effective) snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wanna-be-smoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
VT
Another round of dons UBE( ugly but effective) snack sticks. 13 below zero and the cooker purred from 180-240 for 12 hours straight(have pork butt in also) and used less than half a hopper of pellets. Prob 6-7 pounds of pellets.

I usually do a hickory or mesquite but all I had was Cajun/hot-spicy And original. And seeing most if these are for other people I decided to just do original jerky flavor. I had 5lbs of ground beef and that should get me around 120 or so 4 inch snack sticks.

I got new jerky racks for my cooker for xmas but could only get the top two jerky racks in because of the 9lb pork butt that's cooking also.I'm not worried about a little grease from them getting on top of the pork because it will be in there for another 5 or so hours after the sticks come out.
j1.jpg j2.jpg j3.jpg j4.jpg j5.jpg j6.jpg

They are done and turned out pretty good. It's the first time using the racks and learned a couple things.They sit higher in the cooker and more heat rolls up the front and back because of the dimensions of the drip pan.

So next time I'll make them a little shorter because the ends got a little overdone (But I will set those aside for me when I'm cutting them to length) or run them the other way and stay in from the front/back a little bit. That way i any get over done again it will be just part of two sticks instead of the end of every one

ube11.jpg

Last edited:
well after the taste testing and snacking plus i sent a bag to work with the wife i had 100 sticks. I bag in counts of 10 in reg sandwich bags that i suck the air out of then i bag in a gallon freezer bag suck the air out of that and freeze until needed

j7.jpg j8.jpg j9.jpg

Reactions: SonnyE and tallbm
Nice work!

I do my ground meat jerky in stick form. It allows me to put a higher volume of jerky on the racks in comparison to the flat form.

I still have it on my list to do it in the smoker. I've only ever made them in the oven.
I just gotta work through some of the meat in my freezer first before I start making more stuff to freeze. Yeah the meat will come from the freezer and go back in but jerky sticks are not as nice and neat to store as tubes of ground venison meat so I need some more spare space for the difference in size :)

So I presume you use a Jerky Gun for those?
I've been thinking about getting one, but I'm trying to make one.
I'm over 3/4 of the way there....

I use the LEM Jerky Cannon. It is reported to be all metal where it counts with a resin of some kind covering the handle and trigger portion. Also it holds more ground meat than other jerky guns. I'm completely happy with it but know that the tube isn't completely dish washer safe :( The ends of the tube get that scummy gray film on it when washed in a dish washer where all other parts are washable.

Reactions: SonnyE
I use the LEM Jerky Cannon. It is reported to be all metal where it counts with a resin of some kind covering the handle and trigger portion. Also it holds more ground meat than other jerky guns. I'm completely happy with it but know that the tube isn't completely dish washer safe :( The ends of the tube get that scummy gray film on it when washed in a dish washer where all other parts are washable.

I tend to clean as I go. And most of that is hand washing, warm (hot) water, dish soap. I avoid the dishwasher for most of my work. But I do put dishes in ours. Grandma and the Grandkid's can dirty dishes like hell wouldn't have them. :mad:
But I tend to hand wash the stuff I use. Then dry it and put it away. ;)

Nothing wrong with "ugly" sticks. They eat just a well as "pretty" ones... ;)

Look good to me!!!

Pretty food is for those Gormit restaurants where you have to extend your pinky when drinking coffee.
Corn is pretty much the only thing identifiable after I've ate it. :p

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky