Masterbuilt question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

The Stone Coyote

Original poster
Aug 8, 2018
Hi!

All the literature that came with my MES30 says not to use pellets or chunks, only chips. Does anyone use pellets in their MES? I've got a ton of pellets that I'd like to use up, but I don't want to nuke my new electric.

They work great in my old gasser, but I'm new to electrics.

Any feedback would be appreciated!!!

Regards!

Rudy

Outside of a dual probe thermometer this is an equally as important accessory when it comes the MES:
http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Most like the tray I prefer the tube(s),either way you can't go wrong.The chip loader becomes nothing more than an airflow regulator.

Don't use pellets with the chip loader . It can become a fire hazard or worse .
Look into whsthe was posted above and you will be set . Good luck .

Sweet, that's what I was thinkin'. I suppose leaving the chip tray out completely would be the way to go, and use the loader to control intake?

I was saying don't load pellets directly in the smoker . Get a tray or tube from amzn . I use the tube in a mail box , rest of my smoker is stock

I use chips for shorter smokes and the AMNPS 5x8 for longer ones...but yah, don't try to put pellets in the chip tray. It's not likely they'll smoke, but you can also see what happens when they do. By smoke, it means 'fireball'. You definitely can't do pellets in the chip tray.

I use the mailbox mod, or more specific, the popcorn tin mod.
The results have been amazing.

I have been using some B&B hickory in my 40MES for a few years,never noticed any fire,its a early version

Also have used chunks chopped down so the tray would slide back in

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky