Making dust from pellets...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I`m retired from Dock builders Union and I was thinking about using pellets for a cushion block with a 08 Vulcan hammer saw dust guaranteed what about through the meat grinder . This is ment as " HUMOR " :D

I`m retired from Dock builders Union and I was thinking about using pellets for a cushion block with a 08 Vulcan hammer saw dust guaranteed what about through the meat grinder . This is ment as " HUMOR " :D

I don't know, Paul. But it does give a new meaning to 'smoke infused.'
"Our Hamburger smokes itself as it cooks." :rolleyes:
Right, but it tastes like ash.... :confused: :p

When I was 4, my Mom stopped and we watched a hammer driving steel to bedrock. Fascinating!

I don't know, Paul. But it does give a new meaning to 'smoke infused.'
"Our Hamburger smokes itself as it cooks." :rolleyes:
Right, but it tastes like ash.... :confused: :p

When I was 4, my Mom stopped and we watched a hammer driving steel to bedrock. Fascinating!
Stand by the pile driver all day for 40 hours and see how you like it ,,, LOL

I'm going a step way out of bounds.
I have a Jointer in my shop. It makes debris like you wouldn't believe.
And planers, likewise mass wood debris.
And I have a chunk of old oak to grind.
I've salvaged oak from old pallets before. I just never had any use for the waste...
Until now.

Just a follow up, and a bucket of fine Oak smoker fodder.

20180215_134729[1].jpg

Again, that's fine lookin' dust.... Dave

Thank You Dave!
I set the table to 1/16" and then wondered half way through if the effort was really worth it.
All in all, I now think yes.
I want to see how it does in the AMNPS. Tain't, tain't dust, and tain't pellets. But it has an interesting taste.

I thought of a question for you, but forgot it. Damn Senior moments anyway. LOL! :(

Last mashin I did was out back at the smoker. I wanted some Alder dust from my left-over Bradley pucks.
I picked up a brick and started tappin the puck. Danged if it didn't do a much better job than the hammer.
Faster, too. Probably looked like a caveman smashen berries...
Uggah Boogah...

I've had trouble keeping my Oak shavens going. So I put a pellet 'fuse' in the bottom of the AMNPS, then lay the Oak, or Alder over that. Total, steady combustion. ;)

bringing up an old thread here, but was gonna ask:

I just soaked some hickory pellets to make dust. I have a tray and a tube, and need the dust to be a bit more coarse than "Fine"
I used a potato masher and mashed them up.... worked pretty good, got more like grindings less than 1/8"

Q? What is the optimum size for light smoke in a tray, or tube.... or whatever?
I'm wondering about using a dado blade on my old table saw to make coarse dust

bringing up an old thread here, but was gonna ask:

I just soaked some hickory pellets to make dust. I have a tray and a tube, and need the dust to be a bit more coarse than "Fine"
I used a potato masher and mashed them up.... worked pretty good, got more like grindings less than 1/8"

Q? What is the optimum size for light smoke in a tray, or tube.... or whatever?
I'm wondering about using a dado blade on my old table saw to make coarse dust

For the Tray, I never measured it, but it's just saw-dust. Shavings from a planer or jointer are too big.
Dust from a sander is too fine.
Dust from a Miter Saw, Chop Saw, or table saw are best.
A Dado Set is perfect, but it's the best dust if you crosscut with it.

The Tube is only for Pellets---Not Dust.

Bear

Last edited:
the dust I made from the pellets is like tablesaw dust more than fine dust.

the shavings work perfect when I compressed them into the tube. when they were loose, they burned FAST but still with light smoke.
jammed into my 36" tube, they burned for 5 hours perfectly.
and the BearCarver Dried Meat had a nice smoke. I over cooked it, but the smoke was good.
Next BCDM will be smoked in my MES30c in a couple days.

the dust I made from the pellets is like tablesaw dust more than fine dust.

the shavings work perfect when I compressed them into the tube. when they were loose, they burned FAST but still with light smoke.
jammed into my 36" tube, they burned for 5 hours perfectly.
and the BearCarver Dried Meat had a nice smoke. I over cooked it, but the smoke was good.
Next BCDM will be smoked in my MES30c in a couple days.

Yup---I could see the heavier granules & shavings working in a Tube, but not so good in the tray.
Dried Beef should be fine pulling anywhere between 150° and 170°, and sliced paper thin.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky