Magic Biltong

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a box with a computer fan only,no light. Maybe it is too much heat and you are getting a skin hardening from drying the outside too quickly before the inside has dried at all???
Okay, I just unplugged the light. Let’s see what comes of this. I’m 1.5 days into a new batch that I cut @ approx 1”. With light bulb I have been pulling 1” cuts out in 4-5 days. I live in a dry mountain area. Temp in house is at 70. Worth the try 10° cooler. Will check back in with you to let you know results-thanks!

Okay, I just unplugged the light. Let’s see what comes of this. I’m 1.5 days into a new batch that I cut @ approx 1”. With light bulb I have been pulling 1” cuts out in 4-5 days. I live in a dry mountain area. Temp in house is at 70. Worth the try 10° cooler. Will check back in with you to let you know results-thanks!
Hopefully it works out to your liking! I use malt vinegar and Biltongmate texas spice mix. Soak in vinegar quickly ,then roll in spice and let sit for 18 hours or so in the fridge. 1" + pieces out in 4-5 days

Reactions: pnolanb
Hopefully it works out to your liking! I use malt vinegar and Biltongmate texas spice mix. Soak in vinegar quickly ,then roll in spice and let sit for 18 hours or so in the fridge. 1" + pieces out in 4-5 days
I have used malt, sherry, apple cider and red wine vins. Malt and sherry are the only two I will stick with. Sounds like we’re on the same page most of the way here. Do you happen to have any pics of your biltong sliced that you could post to this thread?

I have used malt, sherry, apple cider and red wine vins. Malt and sherry are the only two I will stick with. Sounds like we’re on the same page most of the way here. Do you happen to have any pics of your biltong sliced that you could post to this thread?
Sorry , Right now all of my biltong is vac sealed in the fridge in whole pieces.

Reactions: pnolanb
I need to make more.....All gone.

Sorry , Right now all of my biltong is vac sealed in the fridge in whole pieces.
The 1.5 day with bulb on still had an effect. Overall tho it it wasn’t as hard as past batches with heat from light running entire time. I’ll head to store today to pick up some more meat for a fully bulb-less batch.

Attachments

• 93209D3B-3A84-49C1-8ACC-2B0C991AB483.jpeg
    93209D3B-3A84-49C1-8ACC-2B0C991AB483.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky